September 01, 2008

Laundry here, laundry there, laundry everywhere...

Laundry is the one chore I hate the most. Of course it has to be the chore that takes the most time, and it never ends. I have tried many different ways to simplify the laundry load but I just can’t do it.

The worst part, I do all this laundry and I have the smallest amount of dirty cloths of all of us. It is the others in my house that produce the massive amounts of laundry.

First there is the baby…. He goes through at minimum two outfits a day if not three. You put him into a high chair he trashes everything he is wearing. He is such an independent baby. He does not want anyone feeding him. He wants to do it himself and when he does it himself he also wears it. He ends up head to toe in food. Ah yes and of course what goes in must come out. He is notorious for pooping right out of his diapers. I have tried every diaper size, type etc… it doesn’t matter he is a super pooper. LOL.

Second is the five year old. I call him the king of stains. His shirt gets everything rubbed onto it. It is his towel, so to speak. His sleeves and shoulders are always used to wipe his face clean. I don’t care how much I preach about not doing this, still happens. Then I love “I didn’t do that mommy” and the evidence is on the sleeve. He now has a new habit of chewing on the collar of the shirt and stretching it out. If anything is on his hands the sides of the shirt are also destroyed. I buy oxy clean by the boat load and I still can’t get his cloths clean half the time. I soak, scrub and launder and we still have stains. Their wont be many hand-me downs for his little brother.

Finally there is my husband, the biggest contributor of them all. He dresses for the office during the day and works out at the gym every day at lunchtime. He comes home each day with a backpack full of smelly sweaty gym cloths. Then when he gets home he has to change into something more comfortable. Now he has gone threw three outfits in one day. I try to get him to reuse stuff that hasn’t been on long and really isn’t dirty. This is pointless because he lays it at the end of the bed where the dog gets hair all over it. I ask him to hang it all back up but that is an even bigger joke.

The boys go through cloths also but at least their stuff is still small. Lord help me when they get bigger.

I recently tried to set a new rule for myself and do just one load of laundry every day so that when the weekend comes I don’t spend an entire day doing laundry. This is a great thought but I have yet to successfully put it into practice.

My mom uses a laundry service and it cost her $10 a week for her and my dads cloths. They don’t have much laundry so this is great for them. This service would probably cost me $100 and unless they are coming to my house and putting it all away that isn’t much help to me either.
Is there a trick to making this never ending task just a little less daunting? I want to know what are your secrets to making laundry easier?

10 Comments Welcome:

Helene said...

Girl, if I had a secret, trust me, I'd share it with you!!! I feel the same way you do about laundry...it is my most dreaded household task. It seems endless! And just as I finally get all the clothes washed, dryed, folded and put away, there's another 3 loads that need to be done. I can't keep up!

My sister, who also has 4 kids like me, said she did a load of laundry every single day (like you were suggesting in your post) and she said that it really did help. I haven't tried it yet just because I hate the idea of having to do laundry every single stinkin day, even if it is a small load!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I feel the same way. Just this morning we had the sock panic in our house. I cannot stand to fold laundry. I am getting better now that the children are bigger. Lately I seem to be using FOX news and CNN as company while I watch all of the political saga. At least I have some company while folding.

I do my laundry each day. I have decided to fold it right on the spot lately. It seems to work. Nothing comes out of the dryer that is not folded....except the socks.

Tiff said...

Oh how I hate doing laundry! Mine piles up and piles up..I do the same I try to wash a load daily but most of the time that just does happen..I put it all on the back burner...lol..If you find the secret to laundry success let me know!! :)

twinmamabee said...

Oh I completely feel everyone's pain. I hate doing laundry and washing dishes - they are never ending! I do one load a day like everyone else suggests. I try to keep my clothes to a minimum and if we are eating something especially messy, the kids are stripped down to their diapers.

Anonymous said...

I completely feel your pain. I have a baby and a 3 year old daughter and a hubby that loves to through his barely worn clothes in the stack of dirty clothes so i never know which is which. Or he'll put his dirty clothes in the pile that i hadn't folded yet. I hate doing laundry. If i had enough clothes i would dry clean everything!

Michele said...

I always threaten my husband that I'll take some of his lunch money budget to have our laundry cleaned by a service, but I never do. The thought of having someone else wash my...ya know...panties, sweaty sports bras and stuff...is just weird to me. So, I've succumbed to doing at least one load a day and that has made my life tons easier!

Anonymous said...

No secrets to it. Just another laundry hater adding to the comment pile. It kind of sneaks up on me actually, with four kids making dirty clothes, it seems their hamper is filled to overflowing every other day. It stinks, I hate it, I think that's why I try to ignore it for as long as I can until someone runs out of underwear. lol.

Unknown said...

I feel the same too.

The worst part of me is I separate everything, I know there's a part of my brain that just says so, so even the smallest pile of laundry I still do at least three/four loads. A friend of mine suggested I should hang everything so I don't have to worry about folding them.

I can't do the one a day maybe four every three days.

It's a neverending cycle, it'll go on forever.

Shannon said...

i am right there with you. i joke i would rather scrub the toilet with a toothbrush. For me, i do it every Monday. Get it done and over with for the week. i have tried that whole everyday thing and i feel i am always doing it!

shannon
Rock Star Maternity
The Domestic Engineer's Union

Laura said...

WOW, I am so glad that I am not the only one...I refer to the laundry pile as the "Ever Breeding Mound". I have a picture in one of my blogs. But I have to be honest I don't mind putting it in the washer or transferring the load to the dryer...It's the piles, sorting, folding, hanging and walking up the stairs to put it away that drives me nuts.

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template