September 25, 2008

The One Word Conversation….

I love the after school conversations with my son when he gets home each day from Kindergarten. They go something like this.

Me: How was your day?
Luke: Fine

Me: What did you do today?
Luke: Nothing

Me: Did you read stories today?
Luke: No

Me: Did you cut with scissors?
Luke: No

Me: What did you do?
Luke: Nothing (a more frustrated version of this answer)

Me: Was today gym day?
Luke: Yes

Me: What did you do in Gym?
Luke: Nothing

Me: Who is your gym teacher? Is it a man or woman? (This is week five of school and I still don’t know the answer to this one)
Luke: Don’t know…

Me: So you are telling me your teacher sits in the class room all morning, says nothing and does nothing the entire class time.
Luke: MOMMY!

Ok it isn’t always a one word answer, sometimes I get two words. I have this conversation or a similar one with him every day. It just about drives me nuts. If these are the answers I am getting at five what is he going to be like when he is a teenager? I don’t even want to think about that. Do your kids do this also or is this just something boys do?

4 Comments Welcome:

Dreams and Designs said...

So, is gym teacher a "Pat" or is son to apathetic to care? Cuz I mean, it's a gym teacher here, it could actually be hard to tell in some instances!

Elizabeth Channel said...

So far my experience has been that this is how *some* boys are. My oldest was like this whereas my youngest boy talks up a story. My three-year-old (a girl) will provide a blow-by-blow of the day if you let her. I found that making a special snack for my older child to eat after school and then sitting down with him helped get him to talk. Of course now I'm homeschooling so he's forced to talk to me all the time.

Anonymous said...

Our youngest is in 1st grade and he comes home chattering away. His first day of school he got off the bus and said "I have a million things to tell you..well, actually, just 2." He wasn't a fan of Kindergarten so he didn't talk about it as much. He loves 1st grade.

Lori said...

This is my first time at your blog and I'm loving it...

I ask my kids what was the best thing that happened to them that day. Or what made that day different than every other day. (Otherwise my daughter says, "I got up... I went to the potty... I ate breakfast...") My eldest still responds with "nothing" sometimes though!

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template