December 08, 2008

My Wake Up Call’s

I am a very light sleeper and I jump every time my boys even make a peep in the middle of the night. Thomas is my 12, 2 and 5 AM alarm clock. He is 13 months old and he still wakes 3 times every night. I honestly think it is a habit now. The bad part is you can’t just ignore him and force him to self sooth himself back to sleep. Oh no… we have a little house so his crib is in our bed room. So he stands up in the middle of the night, shakes the crib and cries until you get up and get him. If I could interoperate baby jabber he would be telling me to get my butt out of bed because he needs a drink and a little cuddle time with mom. He also is telling me he knows I am their so hiding under that blank isn’t going to fool him. LOL….

So three times a night with this child is exhausting and what does my 5 year old do to me…. “Mommy…..” as load as he can like there is something wrong. I rush into his room and calmly he says to me “will you scratch my back”. The worst part is he does this all the time and never when I am already awake at 12, 2 or 5 but around 3 AM. So I either get up and scratch his little back or I kick my husband out of bed and make him share in my sleepless nights.

I love my boys but they both are about to drive me to exhaustion.

10 Comments Welcome:

Anonymous said...

I only have one and I am driven to exhaustion! I can't imagine two.

Yet I am begging Hubbs for another! Maybe I'm crazy.

Jen - Queen of Poo said...

Been there, done that. Still doing it to some extent, although now my five year old just comes and climbs in bed with us. Not every night, but still once in a while.

michelle said...

One of my 17 month olds {yes there are two of them} wakes up at 4am starving. We have tried everything and he still wakes up!

Peanut said...

I'm the same way, jumping at every sound. Then my husband offers me a sleep-in and is surprised that I can't sleep with a baby crying at my door. I'm trained to listen to them 98% of the time... I can't just turn that off at will! Somehow my hubby can sleep right next to a crying baby and not wake... but then his alarm clock doesn't wake him either.
My kids share a room now because JJ was waking too often in the night because he could smell me. Now he sleeps through at least one feed most nights. The middle of the night stuff isn't so bad with them in the same room because they sleep deeply enough not to wake each other, but bedtime is often a nightmare!! I am constantly trying to come up with a better solution!
Good luck to you in your quest for sleep!

Maggie said...

Oh girl, I'm in that boat with you!! Not to discourage you in any way (wink), my son is now 21 months old and he STILL gets up in the middle of the night wanting milk, and that's on a good night. Sometimes, it's 2 or 3 times. We can literally count on both hands the # of nights we've been able to sleep the ENTIRE night with no interuptions since his BIRTH on Feb 18, 2007. I was past exhaustion months ago. LOL Surprisingly, I've learned to function really well w/o sleep! ha ha

Come on over to my blog; you have an award waiting for you! =)

Tiff said...

LOL..I love this post!! I am so there with you! I don't think I have had a full nights sleep since 2005. My 3 year old was born that year. Besides getting up when you are pregnant a few times a night to pee...then the Baby comes and wakes up a ton..then like you I had a tiny house and he slept in our room...till we moved this past March (had both the 3yr old and my youngest both in our room)..and boy oh boy does he talk in his sleep. In our new home he is now across the hall and I hear him chatting everynight..or he calls out to us.."will you sleep with me?" lol..then my 19 month old wakes here and there..but he is in our bed..cause he will not sleep in his..oh no...got to be in the middle of me and hubby...and he moves and moves...uggg...going to try to break him of sleepin with us after Christmas...he is getting a new bed...wish me luck..lol...I wish you luck to a full nights sleep soon!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Heather Smith said...

My little girl is 10 months old now. She had an ear infection about a month back. Since then her sleeping through the night has stopped. And I'm up several times a night as well. She's in my room too, so I understand not being able to ignore it!! Hope you get some sleep soon!

Dreams and Designs said...

Oh, I feel your pain. With a 3-week old I feel like I am up all night. oh wait, I AM up all night!

With our 3 year old I eventually read "Healthy Sleep habits Happy Child" and it worked miracles for us. But, don't even bother if you can't stand to hear them cry a little... :(

Diane said...

Whoa! I feel bad for you. I hope your hubby takes the night shift and/or lets you sleep in on one of his days off!

I've never even let my kids in my bedroom, let alone my bed. And it's saved me a world of trouble I think.

But, these phases will pass. And then you'll miss these days - or nights, rather. When they get to be teenagers they act like you are throwing acid on them when you try to give them a peck on the cheek! lol

Jennifer said...

lately my son, who is five years old, has been waking up a lot... once or twice a night but almost every night. he will either fall out of his bed, or loose his blankets on the floor or have a belly ache or something. i'm not sure what is going on with him b/c this isn't normal for him... he hasn't ever really fallen out of his bed and certainly not every night or every other night.

then my daughter, who is three years old, has been crying almost every night... it was around 11 PM so i would go in her room and comfort her... she wouldn't even have her eyes open most of the time, but she would hug me and go right back to sleep. the last few times though it has been after 1 AM and she is harder to get back to sleep... she wants to come out of her room and snuggle on the couch... she has asked for the TV to be on, but I don't do it... I don't want to start that habbit. I guess they just still need us at night time.

maybe part of the thing with my kids is the new house... but they didn't do this when we first moved... this is a newer thing.

good luck. :) mommy's definitely need sleep... LOTS ... especially to play with two boys all day!! :)

xoxo

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template