January 08, 2009

Aloha Friday #14

Play along at An Island Life for Aloha Friday. In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that we take it easy and look forward to the weekend. So I thought that on Fridays I would take it easy on posting, too. Therefore, I’ll ask a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a lengthy response. If you’d like to participate, just post your own question on your blog and leave your link at An Island Life. Don’t forget to visit the other participants! It’s a great way to make new bloggy friends!


My question this week…..

Has the rash of job losses, company closers and so on affected you or someone in your life?

Around where I live their have been some really large company closers causing thousands of people to lose their jobs. My son’s babysitter’s husband worked for GM for years and his plant just closed right before Christmas.

My husband works for a large company and they are talking job cuts in the near future. He is stressed at the idea of a possible job loss.

I am not worried at all. I work for a small company. My company is based in Ontario Canada and we have a US sales office where 7 of us work (including myself). 5 years ago none of these jobs existed and I was the third US employee hired to the company. In total we have about 28 employee’s majority based in Ontario. Our company has a wonderful owner who values every employee and I think times would have to get really tough before he would cut a job. Knowing that is a big relief because everyone I currently work with (in the USA) worked for my former employer and we all lost our jobs. Big company, things got tough and jobs were moved. It sucked but I think we are all happier and better off for it today.

In relative terms the unemployment rate is still down and considered at a good rate at 6.7%. I just think some Cities are hurting more than others. Did you know that the unemployment rate peaked at 25% in 1933 during the Great Depression? I think jobs can still be found but the types of jobs have changed and many are going to have to learn a new skill or trade.

14 Comments Welcome:

Anonymous said...

No, my hubby's job is secure but it sure makes us appreciate it.

Diane said...

i live right outside of detroit. things are horrible here. ppl are being laid off right & left, or being forced to take buy outs. and these are ppl who've worked there their whole lives, some of them following in the footsteps of their parents. it's very depressing.

the guy who works along side my sister was let go yesterday. he'd worked there for 5 years. his wife is being laid off at the end of the month. they have a child in private school and one on the way. what will they do?

something's gotta give. this country is really going down the tubes.

could you ask a happier question next time? lol

Jennifer said...

Liek the previous poster mentioned, here in Michigabn everyone knows someone who has or will be affected. My job and hubby's are secure. For now. Who knows what the future holds.

Happy Aloha friday! =)

Lori said...

no lucky for me my hubby's job is pretty secure

Heatherlyn said...

This is a good timely question.

My husband's job seems to be fine. We are grateful to have no worries about it. He works for a small company. He was hired in the beginning in a unique position. I think they have around 300 employees now and are still hiring. It'll be interesting to see how all this affects them in the long run.

However, two of the BIGGEST employers in the Boise area, Hewlett Packer and Micron are doing LOTS of layoffs. HP is shutting down it's printer division and also sending jobs offshore. Micron, which has employed 10k in the area and is HUGE is closing down everything and moving to China. My MIL and BIL have lost jobs as a result of this. Apparently, the US taxes its businesses to a point where they are not competetive abroad. Micron has been loosing money every year for the last 5 years. In China, Micron will have no taxes and get 50% break on utilities for the first 10 years. If the US wants jobs for its employees it needs to give businesses, which employ people, a tax break (not a handout).

janetfaye said...

It has affected a lot of my friends.

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

Thank goodness my husband's job seems to be good. My father works at a Chrysler dealer and we are still wondering how things are going to pan out. There are also larger companies that keep closing down within this area. It is a very scary time right now.

Hawaii Mom Blog said...

My company abruptly shut down with a day's notice. It was quite devastating.

AJ @ A Little Bit Nutty said...

The company my father works for has slowed down a lot. They are doing 3 day shifts now. They shut down for 30 days over Christmas. It's devastating to the small town he lives in. This company is one of the few places to work.

Amy Clary said...

Thankfully, no. We're all doing well. My prayers are with those who are struggling.
Aloha!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I don't think that anyone's job is secure anymore. My husband's work always has people on lay off. He is having a meeting next week-end to be told what changes are about to happen.

Tara said...

My husband's job is secure.. thankfully..but I have family members that are affected by the economy. We are living in scary times.

Anonymous said...

Our family is so lucky that it hasn't affected us. *crossing fingers*

Jennifer-Eighty MPH Mom said...

Excellent question! I have two friends (and their families) who are really struggling. I help them out when I can, but it's just so sad to see.

We are doing okay - my husband has a pretty safe job, thank goodness, but we definitely are starting to really "pinch our pennies"

I'm following you on blogger!

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template