May 01, 2009

Price Per Unit

When you shop how well do you look at the different sizes and the price? I ask this question because I have made a discovery recently at Target (on of my favorite stores). I don’t have a Target where I live but I do have one where I work so when I can I shop their. Anyway I needed diapers for bed time. I buy the expensive Pampers for night time so we don’t leak (I use cheap ones during the day). Anyway I am looking at the diapers and see the large bag of size 4 diapers for regular price of $19.99 that has 54 diapers in the bag. Then I look down at the box of diapers also regular priced $19.99 for the size 4 diapers but the box has 64 diapers. I pause a second and look again, both are regular priced, the same price, but if I buy the box I get 10 more diapers, for the same price. I start thinking, I wonder how many people pick up the bag and never look down at the box assuming it is more but really is the same price but a better deal.

Kroger is one of my favorite grocery stores because they put the per unit price on every tag. So I always look at what the better price is per unit and buy accordingly. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy two small boxes of something then to buy the large bulk pack because you get more. So to answer my own question I watch the per unit price very closely with everything I buy. In stores that don’t post that per unit price, I bust out my trusty cell phone with it’s handy calculator and do the math.

So my question today is how much do you pay attention to the price per unit on items that you buy?

Play along at An Island Life for Aloha Friday. In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that we take it easy and look forward to the weekend. So I thought that on Fridays I would take it easy on posting, too. Therefore, I’ll ask a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a lengthy response. If you’d like to participate, just post your own question on your blog and leave your link at An Island Life. Don’t forget to visit the other participants! It’s a great way to make new bloggy friends!

13 Comments Welcome:

Anonymous said...

I always try to get the best deal!

Carol said...

It's sad to say it, but I don't pay any attention to price per unit at all. I assume that the larger the pkg. the best deal you're getting so I just grab the big one!

I should start looking more closely!

sues2u2 said...

I always look to see which is cheaper although I am a brand snob on some things & will pay more for products I like.

Tara said...

I have an Award waiting for you on my blog here:

http://weightingforperfection.blogspot.com/2009/05/one-lovely-blog-award.html

Thanks,:)
Tara
www.weightingforperfection.blogspot.com

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

I always look at the price per unit and buy based on what the label says.

T Rex Mom said...

I also pay close attention to the price per unit. Most of our stores have it. I will even compare prices between stores too.

We do the same thing - we get our regular diapers for the day and special night time ones for bedtime. Works great. Although, potty training has been the best thing on our pocket books!

Thanks for the posting.

Heatherlyn said...

Thanks to my father and his compulsive CPA tendencies, I actually do pay attention. Once I discovered that the smaller unit of Tide was less expensive than the larger, per unit ounce (or whatever that thing is). It only lasted a year before the prices changed. But it goes to show that you can't just assume things in bigger sizes or bulk are actually a better deal.

My new URL is

http://plantingseedsofhappiness.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure if you have to refollow the blog or just change the URL when you manage the blogs you follow. I hope it's not terribly complicated!

Maggie said...

You know, I try to look at price per unit, but I'm guilty - sometimes I am just too brand loyal. But I will say, what is with this... every time you go up a size in diapers, there are less in the box and the same price or more expensive?! I just don't get it. Makes you want to stick your kid in too small diapers for as long as possible - but then you got that leak action going on, and well, after having to deal with wet sheets a few times, that gets old quick and I end up going up to the next size.

Another thing, Jonah has graduated to size 6 diapers - the smallest box on the daggum shelf and the most expensive (sheez!), and my question is, what next?! There's no other size higher than that. And he's not potty trained yet. I think we're in trouble. LOL

Unknown said...

I actually look a the per unit alot! Especially on diapers. We are so with you on the better ones at bedtime. It gets really tiring changing sheets all the time! Nice question for the week!

Peanut said...

I pay VERY close attention to the price per unit. In fact, I don't shop regularly at any store that doesn't show it for me.

Caitlin said...

I don't check this nearly enough, although I should!
I HAVE noticed the diaper thing at Target though- what's up with that?!

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

Great question! I almost always pay attention to price per unit. Bigger is not always better. If the unit price is the same I usually go for smaller, because it's easier to use up before it goes to waste. My Aloha Friday

Peanut said...

One problem with price per unit shopping: Candy. Sometimes I buy the bigger package of candy because the price per unit is cheaper. This is one time when I should pay the HIGHEST price per unit and remind myself of how expensive it is each time I shoved another candy in my mouth. Tiny little bag or 6-month-supply: we all know it will be consumed in the same amount of time anyways! (or is that just me?)

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template