January 11, 2010

LETTING GO

I recently spent some time cleaning out the drawer below the baby crib and removing all the blankets, sheets and everything that is baby. I have it neatly folded inside the crib waiting for my husband to take the crib apart so that I can get it out of our bedroom and give it all away.

Sounds great.... yet I am having issue with getting rid of it. I have no plans to have more children, two is all I want. For that matter, all I can handle. However I have this fear, this fear that I will part with all my baby things and the unthinkable will happen.

I fear this because I did not plan either of my children. They just happened! The second one I wanted to happen but it wasn't planned when it did. I have placed the burden on my husband to take care of things so we cannot have more children and he has not done this.

I have purged baby clothing and many other things but not the crib. Why am I afraid to send away the crib? I need to get it out of my house for space reasons it needs to go and yet I can't bring myself to do it.

9 Comments Welcome:

Diane said...

just do it! and then make an appointment for your husband and trick him into going - like we do when we take our pets to the vet.

Heather said...

Oh, I don't know how to help. My youngest still puts her stuffed animals in her crib, while she sleeps in the toddler bed. I never could get rid of it, even though I know I'm not having more!

Caitlin said...

Uh oh- sounds like it could be a little bit of intuition of a little surprise to come?...or just paranoia! :) Could you take it apart and then keep the pieces somewhere? They usually stack pretty well.

Heatherlyn said...

There are probably a couple of reasons. First, I think as girls we look forward to having kids someday and even when we are done having kids it is a little emotional to really grasp that this phase of our lives is over. At least, I look at the little baby things and I just am blown away by how fast it all went. Second, fear of having to buy something new that you already have that you gave away. You touched on that. When we were done I took care of making sure that we'd have no more. I just needed that closure personally. My husband would have done it but I really wanted to myself. It was really nbd. But if you did happen to have another, we never used a crib ever. We always used our pack and play. I liked that the kids took longer to learn to crawl out of it and that we could take their bed with us wherever we went so that made traveling easier. Plus, it's smaller. Good luck getting rid of everything!

T Rex Mom said...

Hmmm - I don't know what to say. Can the crib be disassembled and put into storage? And you know, if you were ever to have another child, you could always get another crib.

Maybe you're just struggling with the idea that your kids are growing so fast right before your eyes.

Maggie said...

I was the same way, so I just gave the crib/furniture to my sister! haha She wants another some day, and we are still on the fence whether or not we are done at 2 or will have another. If we do decide to get preg, this is the year... I'm no spring chicken (35) and I certainly don't want to keep waiting, due to potential complications the older you get - Mommy and baby, etc. So, I guess if it does happen for us, I can easily 'borrow' it back from her, LOL

As for clothes, and little things... that's what showers are for (I keep telling myself)!! Keep your favorite pieces of anything you have left and just know you can always replace later if you need to. And with all the new things coming out, probably better stuff than we started out with! =)

Colette S said...

It is is natural and it is a process. Flow with the process. Keep something for sentiments.

It's motherhood....we can't really tell it bye.

A little at a time and you'll get to a point.

*HUGS*

Brandi said...

I think I will have issues like that too! :) I hope you get it out and you see it's all fine! I think sometimes its hard to let go of some of those things...

Unknown said...

I felt the same way about our crib! I hated to see it go, but we passed ours on to a young cousin who was expecting his first child. I know their baby will make good use of it.
It seems for me I have a hard time getting rid of things that remind me of when the kids were so little. I guess it makes me sad to think there will never be little babies here again, and that my babies are becoming big kids so quickly!
It's tough being a Mommy isn't it?!?!

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template