May 14, 2010

A FEW UPDATES

This has been the longest and most drawn out week.

Remember my family was ill over the weekend. Thomas had very loose stool for 7 days and vomited for 5 days straight. It all started Thursday the 6th. I missed 1/2 day of work on Thursday, all day Friday, missed all day Tuesday, my husband missed 1/2 day Thursday and all day Wednesday. Yesterday was the first day Thomas got to return to school after two days of what I would call much improved health.

Today, Friday I am at work and at 11 AM I receive a phone call from Luke's school. He had a little accident and was pretty upset. Big deal to a 1st grader so I had to go pick him up. Once again, I have left work early.

Being a working mom can be very frustrating especially when you run across times like this. Luckily I have a very good employer. They don't take issue with this type of thing. On Tuesday I insisted upon using a vacation day because I already missed so much. I was told it wasn't necessary but I don't want people thinking I am taking advantage so it was important for me to do it this way. All I can say is please, please, please put an end to all this illness. I just can't take it anymore.


On another note, remember my breast lump. I waited a bit before having the ultrasound. I decided to have it checked because the lump came back in the same location. Of course by the time I got in for the ultrasound the lump had gone away again.

The test found nothing however since all this started I have had several other things that don't seem right. First, I have nipple pain. My lump when it comes and goes is very close to the nipple. My best way to describe my pain, I feel like a new mom getting use to nursing a baby. It is tender and sore and I have little surges of pain from time to time. Second thing is I have noticed my one breast has been swelling. Can't explain the swelling but it has happened a couple times now. And NO I AM NOT PREGNANT!

Wednesday I went back to the doctor and because of all the additional things going on she has referred me to a specialist who deals with nothing but the breast. My husband is freaking out over how much this could all cost. While a big part of me is holding out that it is hormones causing the craziness, a small part of me keeps asking why only in the left breast? I will keep you updated and say a prayer that this will all be solved and with a good outcome.

10 Comments Welcome:

Heather said...

I will be praying for you! Sounds like a rough week--and I think you are smart to follow up on your concerns--praying now for a peaceful week ahead!

More Than Words said...

That is a huge blessing that you have a very understanding employer!!

I'll be praying for all of you, Nina. For everyone's health to be restored, and for you to feel comfort and peace about your tests.

scargosun said...

I am hoping that it is little as what I had, a cyst. SAME symptoms. I actually had to wear a bra to bed b/c it hurt when it moved. It started to go away but still went to the doc. He stuck a needle into it and turned out it was a cyst. ABX for a a week. Hope it is that simple for you!

Serendipity is Sweet said...

Wow, you have been through the ringer. I am so sorry to hear it. I am praying for you.

I had a lump when I was 27 and had and ultrasound and mammogram. Thankfully it turned out to be nothing. Hang in there. Praying for good news. And don't let the cost deter you. Follow up!

Brandi said...

Keeping you in my prayers! I hope it all goes well! And I hope your family gets well soon!

T Rex Mom said...

T Rex is in doing prayers with his dad right now - we'll add Ms. Nina to his "blessings". I cannot guarantee that you'll be mentioned before Burt and Ernie, though.

In all seriousness, we will be praying for you. I'm glad you're getting it looked into. It does sound hormonal to me. And you can have one do one thing and another do something different.

And I really hope everyone gets to being better soon - that is NO fun. Take care.

Heatherlyn said...

It's a blessing to have an employer that works with you and appreciates the work you do. I think it would be very frustrating to not feel like you could do your job and yet also want to be there (or need to be) for your family. I hated that aspect of being in graduate school with a baby. I hope you all stay well so that you don't have to go through that again!

I'm sorry about the lump. I hate it when things are off and you don't know why yet. I hope you get some answers. It shouldn't be too expensive just to get it checked out! And I hope it isn't serious. But you are WISE to make sure that you know what it is!!!

Unknown said...

I think you are doing the right thing getting it checked out, I will be praying for you as you go see the specialist! I will also send well family thoughts your way! Having sick leave is a blessing, but I know what you mean about feeling bad about missing work because of sick kids!

Maggie said...

I have been thinking about you and what ever happened with that lump... whether or not you decided to go to the doctor, etc. I know it must seem overwhelming, knowing how much all of that is going to cost, but seriously, they will work with you... most people do anyway. Just tell them that you will need to set up payment arrangements. Your health is too important not to at least see what it is. You know your body... and if something isn't right, then it's a good idea to get it checked out. I will be praying for you that all turns out well!!

SO glad the boys are feeling better!! I hear ya on the missing work thing. I don't know why it has happened this way, but I have missed alot of work too lately with appts for the boys and us. Dentist appts for all 4 of us, Josh just got braces and had to have 4 appts back to back, Jonah's six month ear check up (from having tubes) and some others have all fallen in the last 2 weeks. I am like, seriously?! lol But, what can you do? You have to take care of your family. Thankfully, my work is like yours, and they don't mind at all. I think they realize that mom's have to take care of those things, and it's not like you can do it after 5 when everyone is closed.

As for having an accident... poor guy!! I hate to admit it, but I remember I had one when I was in 2nd grade, all because we had gone to break and I didn't go because I was playing around (I guess, lol) and didn't go, then had to go when we all got back in the classroom, and she stood her ground and wouldn't let me go. So, I went, all over her floor. Guess she thought twice about future students and bathroom requests outside of the normal "scheduled" ones. LOL When you gotta go, you gotta go!! =)

Keep us updated on your dr appt!!

Heather said...

Hope you are all feeling better! I am curious to make sure you are ok. I have an award over at my blog for you!

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template