June 22, 2010

The North vrs South

Remember my extra busy week last week?

Yep, it was really busy sitting on the beach in South Carolina.

We went to the same vacation destination again this year that we did last year. I have lots of pictures to share and hopefully will do that tomorrow but for now I am just going to share a fun little observation that I picked up on as we traveled. Remember I live in the North and we travel to the South for vacation and as we did I observed some very big differences between the North and South.

1. Personality

  • Southerners are so friendly, so nice. People walk around saying hello, smiles on their faces and it is so refreshing.
  • Northerners are not friendly, people don't make eye contact, rarely say hello and most the time are walking around with frowns on their faces. Makes me sad!
2. Traveling by Car
  • Southerners are very slow, not in a hurry however they drive with a lot more curtisy. Overall it seems to take a lot longer to get to where you want to go but traveling seems to be much safer.
  • Northerners in a hurry, a big, big hurry. Seriously we enter the North and cars start cutting you off, driving like crazy and moving very fast down the interstate. Now I must say we traveled much quicker in the North but I am not sure it was the safest of travels as I watched many drivers go and cut off others almost to the point of an accident.
3. Public Places (Bathrooms Specifically)
  • In the South, I don't care where we stopped to use the restroom, they were clean. With little kids who potty a lot this is truly a nice thing.
  • In the North, well my best advice is stay away from any and all gas station restrooms. I don't know if they just don't clean them or if people in the North are just that gross. Either way, people should know better and be more respectful.
4. Slow & Quick
  • In the South, everything takes forever because they are not in a hurry. Going through a McDonald's drive through takes an hour. They most march at their very own pace and their is no speeding them up.
  • In the North, everything is much faster. It seems the idea is to get them in and out as quick as possible. Of course this might be why the personality and friendliness is lost in the North.
Have you traveled and picked up on these types of things before?

6 Comments Welcome:

T Rex Mom said...

You think things are slow down South - Idaho is REALLY slow. Major adjustment when I moved here but now I could not imagine life any differently.

Glad you're back safely.

And really hope you get things figured out with Thomas - that has to be so rough.

He doesn't have strep, right?

Brandi said...

How funny! I live in WY so everywhere seems a lot faster than here! :) Although some towns are more friendlier than others! :)

More Than Words said...

My cousin & uncle live in Myrtle Beach!!!

And I totally know what you mean about it being SLOW!! We went to Virginia a few years ago for a family reunion and we went to a McDonald's in the mall. Anyway, it TOOK SOOOOO LONG to get our order!!! Also, I had to go to WalMart at midnight, and I had to be in line for at least 15 minutes! And there were only two people in front of me!!

Caitlin said...

I would like to add an AMEN to TRex mom's comment- Idaho is SLOOOOOOW!! I have been South before and it is very similar. Coming from Portland and then Seattle, it was an adjustment. I still pass people like crazy on the highway- when I am going the SPEED LIMIT!!
Sigh.
How is Thomas feeling?

Heatherlyn said...

I've never really been to the South. The bathrooms have been pretty clean in California, Idaho, and Utah though. For the most part.

I think it goes to show that friendliness and courtesy are learned social behaviors.

I think it is interesting that even though people in the South are friendlier and nicer that there tends to be more deeply rooted racism in/from the South.

The beaches are the best in the south though (I guess I have been to Florida). You didn't mention that. They are much warmer. :)

Maggie said...

LOL, that is so funny!! I have always lived in the South. But, travelling to the North, I do notice that people have different personalities. You can always tell a southern person vs a northern one over the phone, too. And, not just because of their accent. I wonder how all of that came about??? So strange... and I do have friends up North who are just as friendly as can be, but not sure they are originally from the North or not. lol

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template