July 08, 2010

MY FAVORITE

I love Target! It is one of those stores that I just love shopping in. Trust me this is a very hard thing because I don't like shopping. So for me to love your store is a good thing. It is never over crowded, it is never cluttered with to much stuff in the isles, it is always extremely clean and well organized and the people (when you need them are so helpful). I can't say that about most other stores that cause me to hate shopping.

Anyway, on one of my weekly trips to Target this week they had filled up the $1 bins with some new things. I often think of the dollar bins as items of junk but Target really does have some great things in the dollar bins. They had just stocked them for back to school and I found all these wonderful flashcards for $1.

They had so many different types and these are just as nice of flash cards as the packs back by the books that cost $5 a box. Anyway, I found some for both my boys.

For Luke:

  • Addition
  • Subtraction
  • Division
  • Multiplication
  • Harmoniums
  • Phonics (level 1 & level 2)
  • Site words
For Thomas:
  • Shapes & colors
  • ABC's
It was so great last night as we sat on the floor playing with our new flash cards.
Luke was going through the phonics ones and I would hold up a card "Tr" and he would give me words using "Tr" and tell me the sound. I told him we should pick two cards every night and he write out words for me so he can practice his spelling at the same time.

Thomas was loving the shapes and colors. I really liked these as they had three of every shape, in different colors and different sizes. So I would ask which one was bigger or smaller, I would ask which circle was yellow, etc... It was really great and both boys were having fun. If their was any frustration it was coming from the two of them competing for my attention.

Before it was all said and done, all the boxes of flash cards were all over the rug (sorry no picture of that mess). This was just two boxes to start. Also, sad to say they are still all over the living room floor today.
Target also had this great teachers daily planner book ($1) and I bought it for the school year. Luke is headed into 2nd grade and it is time to make him document when things are do, what needs to be turned in when, you get the idea. Mom can't hold his hand forever so no time like the present to start learning.

6 Comments Welcome:

Heatherlyn said...

You found some great stuff! I always have such good intentions with flash cards. Maybe this year I'll use them more. They really do help kids with math and reading and probably other things as well.

I really like Target, too!

Teri said...

I am not a happy shopper, either, but Target is pretty much okay with me. Always bright and clean.

Those $1 cards are a super deal!

Unknown said...

I love our Target too! I have found some really handy things in the $1 area, especially for stocking stuffers at Xmas time!
I hope ours has the flash cards, what a great way to spend time with the kids and learn too!

T Rex Mom said...

We've been using flashcards to teach T Rex Spanish. He's catching on. They absorb so much so quickly at this stage.

And Target - I have to stay away otherwise I overspend my budget - I love that place!

Colette S said...

I definitely need to visit Target, plus they have my chocolate. Seems nowhere else sells it here.

And would love some things for the school year too.

Glad your children are having so much fun with the cards.

Maggie said...

Those do sound like fun!! I need to get some for Jonah.

The schools here, from about 4th grade up, provide daily/weekly planners for the students. Which is fantastic. Our only problem is, Josh doesn't use his... ever. =( Kind of like, you can lead a horse to water, but... lol

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template