October 30, 2008

The Mice are Taunting Me

The mice are taking over my house. Every year in the fall we end up with a couple mice. About a week ago I saw my first mouse. I was up at 2:00AM using the bathroom, lights off and a stupid mouse runs across the floor and under the dryer. If you shudder at this thought I feel for you but I have long gotten over that fear of the stupid little rodents. I am no longer scared of them because I have put up with this for the past 7 years so you get over the fear thing really quick. I go back to bed mad because I know we have a mouse but can’t do much about it at 2:00 AM.

I see my next mouse last Friday night when I flipped on the kitchen light and he goes running across my kitchen counter. Ok he made me jump but I wasn’t expecting him. I yell for my husband because the mouse is hiding behind a basket on the counter. Well while we argue over who is going to get him he comes running out trying to escape. Darn-it if he didn’t escape right down the hole in the grill of my stove. EWW… We lift up the stove cover and he was long gone down the back side of the stove and who knows where he went after that.

Now it is time to set a couple traps. So on top of paper my husband sets a couple traps. I don’t like doing this on my counters but it is a place we know they frequent so we do it. Well that night we got one of them. Yeah!!!

Don’t worry my counts get a good Clorox scrub daily if not a few times a day because they leave their nasty messes behind. YUCK! This is the part I can’t stand is finding little mouse poop everywhere and especially on my counters and other places in my house.

We got one of them but I know there are more. I have found more poop since then and then yesterday I am standing at my kitchen counter and I look down and there is all these little piece of wood and dust on the floor. I am thinking where did this come from? I start looking around and there is a really thick board between the stove and the dishwasher that helps support our counter tops. Well I find where they are chewing this board up just below the counter top and they have made a hole big enough for them to squeeze behind my dishwasher. Great my luck they will ruin my dishwasher that is pretty darn new.

Finally to top off my morning I find mouse poop in the baby’s high chair seat. I am not happy about this either. I keep my house very clean, don’t leave dirty dishes out, scrub down the highchair after every meal and so on because I know we can easily end up with mice and I don’t want them in my house. I don’t want to be a mouse killer but I will not have them in my house and I am going to let them know this.

Since the first mouse sighting we have put out 4 traps every night before we go to bed and we have caught only one of them. We only set our traps at night because I don’t want to see them dead. I am so afraid of seeing them dead that I will not go downstairs to pee at night just because we set traps on the bathroom floor and you go through the kitchen to get to the bathroom. I make Eric get them each morning and we put the traps up. I can’t have traps out when the kids are up and the dogs are also an issue with this. Poor Lexis (the dog) would have her tongue stuck in a trap because she wanted to lick the peanut butter off of it.

This year I think the mice are wise to my slaughter plans and they are taunting me big time.

So tell me do you end up with rodents in the fall? We have an old house so there is just no way around this one for us. Do they scare the day lights out of you or are you more like me and just get mad over the whole thing?

5 Comments Welcome:

scargosun said...

Knock on wood, we have not had a problem in the 3 years we have been in this house. BUT...I grew up in the sticks and we defintitely had them. They seemed to stay in the basement (finished) and not venture to the kitchen often. We had a drop ceiling in the basement though and every now and then you would see them run across one of the lights. Funny but not. ;)

Maggie said...

Hi! Found you from Moms of Boys/Mom's Blogger Club!

I have to say, mice still tend to creep me out. We cleaned up some wood piles on our back porch the other day and saw droppings. Oh I hope they aren't in my house!! =S

Shannon said...

eeewww. We have an unusual amount of spiders! I'd have that any day over mice!!!!

Shannon
Vogue Mum
Rock Star Maternity
Domestic Engineer's Union

Dee said...

we get the odd mouse, living inthe country - i found the best trap is one of those humane ones, its a cage with a hole in the top with spikes pointing down, they climb in, but cant get back out due to the spikes - I have caught 3 in one night with this,- i guess the family climbed in to check on eachother - only delimma is what to do with them... I usually drive for a while and let them out somewhere else!

Tiff said...

I can't stand the little devils..they get in this house to...need to bring my cat in so he can do his job and keep them away..lol..but he will stay outdoors... :)

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template