In a couple days I will reach my 5 year anniversary with the company I work for. I am blown away that I will be starting my5th year with this company. It is a job I truly do love even though I have days I could just rip my hair out. I work for a small company that is based out of Ontario Canada. Our company is small with a total of almost 30 employees. About 6 years ago our owner hired a friend of his who use to be my boss at another company I worked for. He then hired another guy I use to work for and then they recruited me. I was the third US employee hired to our US office. We started out working in a small room over top of a little store in a downtown area. It was pretty cramped with the three of us and when we added our fourth employee we had to find a bigger place. Today we have a nice office space with 6 personal offices and a warehouse in the back. We have filled all 6 offices and have a total of 7 employees here now.
You are probably wondering what it is I do? I manage all of our companies marketing. I do everything from designing catalogs and advertisements to writing press releases and I am currently working with a web developer to completely overhaul our company website.
I would like to share 5 reasons why I love this company I work for.
1. The people:
All of my co-workers both here in the US and in Canada are the most wonderful bunch of people I know. They are hard works and always eager to help.
2. The understanding of the company
I have never worked anywhere that is as understand to a parents needs than this company. If my kids are sick and I stay home, no big deal. I have worked for the type of employer who thinks the world is ending because you miss a day and they make you feel awful about it. Not here, not this company. Our owner will ask how everyone is doing and he truly means it. If I have an appointment, need to leave early, the kids have a function, again no big deal. I don’t know if this is part of the Canadian culture and how things are their and it has just carried over into our US operation but either way it is a wonderful thing to know that I am trusted and given some flexibility with my job.
3. Maternity leave
This was a bit different for me. I was the first US employee who ended up having a baby. In Canada they take a year off and the government pays for that time off. In the US most companies give 6 weeks and they don’t have to pay a thing. My company gave me 4 months off (ok it’s not a year but who can complain) and they paid me 75% of my pay during my four months off. Again… what a great employer.
4. Flexibility
After returning to work from child number two I became a very stressed out person. I wasn’t managing things well at all. I went to my boss and said I can’t do this, it is just to much. I asked if I could cut my hours back and they said yes. So now I have the best of both worlds, a career I love and I work only 32 hours a week. This gives me more time for my kids, me and getting things done.
5. Vacation time
Coming up on my 5th year with the company and this year I get 16 days of paid vacation. Not to many companies get to this level of vacation after such a short time. Plus we get the week between Christmas and New Year off every year. So it is like another week of vacation. I couldn’t imagine giving up all of this vacation time.
I have also made a few trips to Canada over the past few years and find it such a great place. I haven’t been since 2006 because of baby number 2 and I now have to have a passport. Just yesterday I went and filled out the application for my passport and it is a good possibility that I will be see Canada again before the year ends.
Blog Archive
-
►
2011
(5)
- ► 06/05 - 06/12 (1)
- ► 04/17 - 04/24 (1)
- ► 02/20 - 02/27 (1)
- ► 01/09 - 01/16 (2)
-
►
2010
(56)
- ► 12/12 - 12/19 (1)
- ► 11/28 - 12/05 (2)
- ► 11/21 - 11/28 (1)
- ► 11/14 - 11/21 (1)
- ► 10/24 - 10/31 (2)
- ► 08/01 - 08/08 (1)
- ► 07/25 - 08/01 (2)
- ► 07/18 - 07/25 (1)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (2)
- ► 06/27 - 07/04 (2)
- ► 06/20 - 06/27 (2)
- ► 06/06 - 06/13 (2)
- ► 05/30 - 06/06 (1)
- ► 05/23 - 05/30 (1)
- ► 05/16 - 05/23 (1)
- ► 05/09 - 05/16 (2)
- ► 04/25 - 05/02 (4)
- ► 04/18 - 04/25 (2)
- ► 04/11 - 04/18 (2)
- ► 04/04 - 04/11 (2)
- ► 03/28 - 04/04 (3)
- ► 03/21 - 03/28 (2)
- ► 03/14 - 03/21 (1)
- ► 03/07 - 03/14 (2)
- ► 02/28 - 03/07 (1)
- ► 02/21 - 02/28 (2)
- ► 02/14 - 02/21 (2)
- ► 02/07 - 02/14 (1)
- ► 01/31 - 02/07 (2)
- ► 01/24 - 01/31 (1)
- ► 01/17 - 01/24 (2)
- ► 01/10 - 01/17 (1)
- ► 01/03 - 01/10 (2)
-
▼
2009
(176)
- ► 12/27 - 01/03 (1)
- ► 12/06 - 12/13 (1)
- ► 11/29 - 12/06 (1)
- ► 11/22 - 11/29 (1)
- ► 11/15 - 11/22 (1)
- ► 11/08 - 11/15 (2)
- ► 11/01 - 11/08 (3)
- ► 10/25 - 11/01 (3)
- ► 10/18 - 10/25 (2)
- ► 10/11 - 10/18 (3)
- ► 10/04 - 10/11 (2)
- ► 09/27 - 10/04 (4)
- ► 09/20 - 09/27 (3)
- ► 09/13 - 09/20 (4)
- ► 09/06 - 09/13 (2)
- ► 08/30 - 09/06 (2)
- ► 08/23 - 08/30 (3)
- ► 08/16 - 08/23 (4)
- ► 08/09 - 08/16 (4)
- ► 08/02 - 08/09 (4)
- ► 07/19 - 07/26 (6)
- ► 07/12 - 07/19 (3)
- ► 07/05 - 07/12 (4)
- ► 06/28 - 07/05 (2)
- ► 06/21 - 06/28 (3)
- ► 06/14 - 06/21 (5)
- ► 05/31 - 06/07 (4)
- ► 05/24 - 05/31 (4)
- ► 05/17 - 05/24 (4)
- ► 05/10 - 05/17 (4)
- ► 05/03 - 05/10 (5)
- ► 04/26 - 05/03 (3)
- ► 04/19 - 04/26 (3)
- ► 04/12 - 04/19 (5)
- ► 04/05 - 04/12 (6)
- ► 03/29 - 04/05 (4)
- ► 03/22 - 03/29 (3)
- ► 03/15 - 03/22 (5)
- ► 03/08 - 03/15 (6)
- ► 03/01 - 03/08 (5)
- ▼ 02/22 - 03/01 (5)
- ► 02/15 - 02/22 (5)
- ► 02/08 - 02/15 (6)
- ► 02/01 - 02/08 (5)
- ► 01/25 - 02/01 (5)
- ► 01/18 - 01/25 (7)
- ► 01/11 - 01/18 (5)
- ► 01/04 - 01/11 (4)
-
►
2008
(97)
- ► 12/28 - 01/04 (4)
- ► 12/21 - 12/28 (4)
- ► 12/14 - 12/21 (4)
- ► 12/07 - 12/14 (3)
- ► 11/30 - 12/07 (8)
- ► 11/23 - 11/30 (3)
- ► 11/16 - 11/23 (5)
- ► 11/09 - 11/16 (5)
- ► 11/02 - 11/09 (4)
- ► 10/26 - 11/02 (6)
- ► 10/19 - 10/26 (4)
- ► 10/12 - 10/19 (6)
- ► 10/05 - 10/12 (6)
- ► 09/28 - 10/05 (3)
- ► 09/21 - 09/28 (3)
- ► 09/14 - 09/21 (2)
- ► 09/07 - 09/14 (4)
- ► 08/31 - 09/07 (4)
- ► 08/24 - 08/31 (4)
- ► 08/17 - 08/24 (5)
- ► 08/10 - 08/17 (2)
- ► 08/03 - 08/10 (6)
- ► 07/27 - 08/03 (2)
Categories
- 5 Things Thursday (4)
- Aloha Friday (49)
- Award (2)
- babies (14)
- birthdays (4)
- breastfeeding (3)
- Cooking (1)
- dogs (2)
- eric (1)
- Family (9)
- Focus Friday (4)
- Friday Flash Back (2)
- funny things (3)
- gardening (1)
- goals (1)
- green mom (1)
- holidays (20)
- Housework (3)
- Husbands (3)
- illness (2)
- kids (39)
- Letters (1)
- Luke (32)
- meals (1)
- Motivate Me Monday (11)
- pets (2)
- photo finish friday (4)
- Romance (1)
- Rules (1)
- savings (2)
- school (2)
- tagged (1)
- Take Me Back Tuesday (2)
- Thomas (33)
- Thursday Thirteen (6)
- time manegment (1)
- vacations (7)
- Winnings (1)
- Wordful Wednesday (18)
- Wordless Wednesday (12)
- working mom (2)
February 26, 2009
My Job
What's five things do you love? Write a blog post and click on the Five Things Thursday image to join the fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Nina
- Hi I am Nina! OK Nina is a nickname but I doubt you really care. I am 35 years old, married, two wonderful boys. Luke is my sweet gentile 6 year old and Thomas is my wild and crazy 2 year old. The two of them wear me out but I love everything about them. I hope you enjoy all our crazy adventures as much as we do.




5 Comments Welcome:
Sounds like a great place to work. That's interesting that the Canadian work culture has influenced your US office. My dad moved down to the states a few years ago and he definitely noticed that employers aren't nearly as interested in keeping their employees happy there as they are in Canada.
We are especially fortunate to have the one-year maternity leave. I believe that was implemented to encourage breastfeeding for a year. We get 55% of our income (to a cap) from Employment insurance and then some employers top that up for a period. Nurses get topped-up to 80% for 17 weeks. I can't imagine how hard it must be for moms to have to return after 6 weeks. And to try to continue breastfeeding? I think it's pretty amazing that so many moms are able to do that. I know I wouldn't be able to pump often enough at my job to keep my milk production up enough for exclusive feeding.
Isn't this kind of fun to focus on the positives of stuff? I'm really enjoying it (although, hard as I try, I'm not coming up with 5 things I love about being sick!)
Wow! You are lucky to work for such a terrific organization! Happy 5 year anniversary!
Congrats on your 5 years! In my experience, smaller companies can be THE BEST. I'm glad that you can balance homelife and worklife. The maternity leave is EXCELLENT!!!!
Your job sounds really interesting! I like the flexibility for working moms! Aw, come on Peanut, I listed 5 things about being sick, you can come up with something! I missed the 5 Things Thursday this week, oops. I love the button you made for it by the way!
wow what a great company to work for!
Post a Comment