February 26, 2009

Spring Flowers

Aloha Friday # 21

I am really ready for spring. I have big plans for my yard this year and growing both a flower garden and a food garden. The past two years I have not done anything with my flowers because first I was pregnant and just didn’t get out and do anything and then last year Thomas was a baby and I wouldn’t take him outside to work in the gardens (to close to the road). I have two brick flower beds that my husband built that pretty much grow nothing but grass because they have never been filled in and I haven’t planet flowers in them. This year I am going big with my two stone flower beds and I have lots of ideas. I also want to rip off our old wood front porch, move the front door and just use the original concrete porch that is under the extended wood porch. I can then till up this big area in front of the house and make a really nice flower garden their also. So with my focus on the flowers this week and I am starting to collect ideas for flowers, plants and so on.

So my questions to you this week are…..

Do you plant flowers?
What are some of your favorite flowers?
Any recommendations for my spaces? I want some that are nice green and tall as well as lots of color.
What flowers do you recommend for spring, summer and/or fall seasons?
Do you prefer annuals or perennials? In the past I have had tulips and lilies but I always end up with lots of green plant and very few flowers. Can anyone tell me how to change that?
Do you know a good website for ideas and tips?


I guess I am full of questions but this is something I am not very good at and need lots of ideas. I have a history of planting the wrong flowers in the wrong places, watering is one of those things I am awful at and weeds… well lets just say they do a good job taking over my spaces. I swear I grow them better than flowers.

Any answers I can get would be much appreciated. Here is one web site http://d21c.com/Sherry727/seasonal/pgs/SherrysFlowerGarden.html I have found that has been really helpful. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips you throw my way.

Play along at An Island Life for Aloha Friday. In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that we take it easy and look forward to the weekend. So I thought that on Fridays I would take it easy on posting, too. Therefore, I’ll ask a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a lengthy response. If you’d like to participate, just post your own question on your blog and leave your link at An Island Life. Don’t forget to visit the other participants! It’s a great way to make new bloggy friends!

23 Comments Welcome:

Peanut said...

Ha ha! No one comes to me for gardening advice! I nearly killed my cactus. I've tried growing flowers in planters on my balcony, every year and this year I'm finally admitting defeat. I'd like to think that one day, when we have a yard, I'll start learning how to garden.

You should post some before and after pics. I'd love to see what your garden turns out like!

janetfaye said...

I don't usually plant flowers but some years I plant Petunias.

Jennifer said...

I SO wish I had a green thumb...or even a big enough yard to have a flower garden. I've tried but never succeed. I love looking at other people's flowers, lol.

Upstatemamma said...

I cannot give you ant advice. I am no good at gardening. I decorate my land scape with rocks, statues and other things that don't grow. Good luck though. :)

annies home said...

love flowers snapdragons and marigolds

Hanging Off The Wire said...

I do like to plant flowers, not so good at it, but I like to try. I don't have a place where I can do that now...so I have not even thought of what I would do this spring.

Ambrosia @ The Purple Booker said...

My brain hurts, lol I wish I could Garden..but My dog is a Husky and so a Digger. No luck for me. But i do love roses :)

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

I am not really into gardening. Do not like being with the bugs and dirt. Hubby and our oldest son have tried things, but thanks to bunnies and birds in the neighborhood we have had issues. Last year we finally got some sunflowers to grow and I love them along with roses.

Anonymous said...

We love planting flowers here at our house! We usually go with the geraniums, petunias, and some others that I really don't know what they are except they are just pretty and brightly colored. We also hav elephant ears. My favorite flower is the tulip, I have tried and tried to get these to grow but I have yet to be successful. Have a great weeekend!!!

Jaime said...

i have a black thumb and have even managed to kill those plants that are supposedly impossible to kill. but sometimes i help my parents plant up their yard. i like pansys, snapdragons, posies and lillies. easy to plant. and my dad has no problem keeping them alive.

Diane said...

once again, i am absolutely no help to you whatsoever. :(

sues2u2 said...

When we lived in Maryland I had a beautiful flower garden & in England it was even better! Here in So Arizona I'm more than a little intimidated. Besides I need to get the dogs out of the back fenced portion into the wider back (ie, need more fences) so that they don't destroy anything.

Good luck on the garden!

Alicia said...

I have no advice. I do not have a green thumb! Best of luck to you though!

Heatherlyn said...

I love flowers. But it depends on the climate which ones will grow best for you.

I will say, marigolds tend to be very hearty. They will die in the winter. But if you plant them from seed they will come back. And they get huge, like bushes. Like 2 feet tall.

In my old house, we had a lot of petunias. They also die in the winter and don't grow back. But in basically the same climate they don't grow well in our current front yard.

I love blooming flowers. You will have to take pictures!

Sarah said...

I just planted some Nasturtium seeds (spelling??). I have found that veggies grow better for me in the fall and winter here in FL. I have always done the traitional summer veggies garden...SOOO....this year I'm focusing on flowers for spring and summer. New ground for me. My dad is a master gardener so he is my go-to for all questions!

Anonymous said...

I wish so much that I could answer this but I would be interested in knowing those things myself! I am horrible at gardening!

Jenni said...

Oh, I love flowers but sadly, I have a black thumb...

Tim said...

I plant more veggies than flowers. But I do have plans for wild flowers this year to go along with the wild weeds others call 'my grass'. :)

Anonymous said...

I have a black thumb and kill anything I plant. I even killed an orange tree once. :-)

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Really I haven't a green thumb. I read the flyers sent out when planing season gets into full swing. I tend to follow their suggestions and usually it works out okay for me.

Jennifer said...

Do you plant flowers?

Yes-- I love flowers!!

What are some of your favorite flowers? I have both sun & shade flower beds and I love so many types. If it's a perennial, I love it even more. lol. For the shade, I love ferns and coral bells. For the sun, I love mixing lavender(perennial) and herbs with geraniums and other annuals.

Have fun planting. I can hardly wait to get outside and fiddle with my flower beds & veggie garden! =)

Heart of Rachel said...

I love plants and flowers but I don't exactly have a green thumb. We have orchids in the garden. They were given to me by my MIL. They are easy to maintain.

Anonymous said...

Great idea!! I found wonderful variety of spring plants at FTD...

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template