February 17, 2009

Where's My $100 Card

Took the boys to the grocery store the other day and my son begs me for the Go-yogurts. Those little balls of yogurt. This is my child who hates yogurt. I ask him why he wants them and he says remember I had them at T-ball and liked them last summer. OK if you will eat them I will buy them.

We get home and I am unpacking the groceries. Luke comes in rips open the box and dumps out all of the packs from the Go-yogurts. Here is how the conversation went:
Me: "What are you doing?"
Luke: "I am looking for my $100 card."
Me: "What are you talking about?"
Luke: "The $100 card you get when you buy these."
Me: "Where did you here this?"
Luke: "It was on TV so it is real."

Lets just say I had to explain that this is marketing and that not everyone wins. Only a few will win and he was not a winner. Sad thing is I bought these several days ago and he has yet to eat any of them. Oh but he wants to buy more next time we go to the store. Darn that TV and its marketing.

So have your kids done anything funny like this?

6 Comments Welcome:

Diane said...

Trinity does this sort of thing all the time. She really doesn't get it. And then she gets pissed. Funny, but not. Because she can get a little bent outta shape.

I'm not a big fan of tv. This is just one of many reasons.

Anonymous said...

Don't you just hate the ads and the commercials for things like this. My kids beg for stuff just because it has "you could win"....

Cupcake Dessert said...

i know! darn commericals!!! poor kid got his hopes up!!

Heatherlyn said...

Not that in particular. Although, my daughter laurel wants me to check all the walmart receipts to see if they qualify to enter into the drawing where you review your shopping experience and then they enter you in a drawing for 1000. I've had to explain to her many times that her chances of winning are next to none.

I think it is totally funny that your son didn't tell you the real reason he wanted the gogurts while you were at the store. So cute! (Save the gogurts and use them as a snack next time you are assigned to treats! Some kids love them. Mine don't.)

Peanut said...

KK mostly watches ad-free kids tv, but sometimes when I have one of "my shows" on, she gets really bothered by the commercials. I tell her they are just people trying to get us to want/buy things that we don't need.

Jennifer-Eighty MPH Mom said...

Oh, yes, my kids have done this...more often than I care to remember. Usually it was with cereal boxes (way back when) and they had toys inside...they mutilated the cereal box to get the toy, but the cereal never got eaten ARGHHHHH!

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template