This year my husbands company went to a new type of medical insurance. The idea is for a healthy person or family to pay a lot less in monthly insurance fees but insurance doesn’t cover anything until you meet a $4500 deductible as a family. Looking at our insurance history we will never hit this because it is rare we go to the doctors (kids more than anyone). On a side note, all wellness type doctors’ visits fit into a different category and are 100% free. Basically the idea here is we have insurance but it is designed more for something tragic where medical expenses would exceed our $4500 deductible. Seems reasonable but makes me nervous about going to the doctor at all because one trip depending on what is done can take a hit on our budget.
I have been recently struggling with something personal. Last month I found a lump on my breast. I did not like what I found and luckily it was time for my annual “ladies” checkup. This made me happy because having this checked out by the doctor will not cost me a trip to the doctors as this fits into that free category. The doctor feels what I feel and tells me it is probably nothing, probably a hormonal change; however she gives me a script to have an ultrasound and tells me to wait until after my next menstrual cycle to decide rather I still want to have the ultrasound. Basically the doctor has put the decision back on me. I believe she did this because the day I found the lump it was huge, I am not a checker (will be from now on) and still found it because it was so noticeable. About 5 days later I saw the doctor and it was about half the size that it was. She said odds are it will fade away. Her thought was if it is still their then come in but other wise don’t worry about it.
My monthly cycle has come and gone and the lump is still their but barely. For the most part it has faded away as she predicted. Now I am struggling, do I go have it checked out further and spend $600 plus dollars on an ultra-sound to probably find out it is nothing or do I let it go?
I have considered letting it go and just keeping a close watch on things and if it returns like it did, having it checked out further. My friend told me it is more than likely nothing and odds are that is exactly the case. However, I have never had anything like this and find it a bit stressful. The other stressful part is I have young children and I would hate to ignore something and later discover I made a bad choice.
The most interesting part for me is just in the past week I have run across all types of things involving breast cancer. Talk about ironic! TV shows and not just one but a few, someone I work with telling me about a friend of hers who died because of breast cancer and left young kids behind, and the other day I am in the grocery store and I almost walk smack into this lady with no hair at all so you know she has gone through some type of cancer treatment.
Do I take these as signs or am I just all of a sudden noticing these things that I probably never gave a second thought to before? I really am struggling here because I just know if I go spend that $600 it will be for nothing more than my peace of mind. Then I will be mad at myself for wasting $600, remember I am really cheap and spending money is a real struggle for me. Eric very much wants me to have it checked out because he says the peace of mind is worth the money.
I know you all don’t have the answers for me, I just needed another outlet to speak to. I have only told my husband and my best friend. My husband says get it checked, my friend says don’t worry about it and I am standing on both sides not sure what to do. I considered talking to my mom about it but she has had such a hard year, I don’t want to make her worry.
Funny thing is if we were on our old insurance I wouldn’t think twice about this and I would just go get it done. I new I wasn’t going to like this new insurance plan.





5 Comments Welcome:
The insurance plan sounds reasonable ... you probably would have paid more than $600 in the increased premiums that you would have been paying under the old plan over the course of a year anyway.
I don't know if cancer will just disappear. It doesn't sound like cancer. I know that my mom has lumps from fibroid cysts that come and go. They made her nervous for many years. But I also know that some cancer you don't get lumps for at all until it is too late and so if you got this checked you'd be checking everything for complete peace of mind.
If you are very worried, it would be worth it to get it checked out. Most places will let you do a payment plan interest free to pay off a large bill, too and that would be much easier on your budget.
I would get it checked! I think it's totally worth it!
i dont think anyone should be in this position. it shouldn't strap you financially to go make sure you are healthy. you are a mother, for goodness sake! you're needed!!
if it were me, honestly, i'd try to stay on top of it and see what happens. but if it's really worrying you, you should get it checked.
you will be in my thoughts!
Tough position.
Get it checked. Even if it is nothing you'll have piece of mind and not have it looming over your head. Chances are it's nothing but you'll always have this "what if" feeling. And some breast cancers can be fairly aggressive. It would certainly make me feel better - I'd hate to think of anything happening to you.
I am sorry to hear you have this worry right now!! Does your insurance consider a Mammogram as preventative?? It might be worth asking them.
I had a fibroid cyst in my breast when I was younger and it did just go away. I will pray for the same for you.
My vote, despite the possible expense, is to get it checked out. If it is bad, the sooner you get on top of it the better.
(((((Hugs to you)))))
Post a Comment