Can someone tell me how, what seems like yesterday, I was holding this cute little thing in my arms.
How is it he is now this strong and very independent little guy who is in preschool.
We are well into week three of Thomas's Early Pre-school program so today I thought it would be fitting to give you a bit of an update as to how things are going.
First his class is made up of boys and girls ages 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years old. Thomas technically isn't 2 1/2 yet but he will be in another month. I pushed for him to be in this class because they have curriculum that they learn from everyday with a weekly lesson plan.
They let me put him in this class because he is doing well on potty training. Let me re-phrase that, he is doing well potting everywhere except at home. That's right, he will potty all day long in a toilet if he isn't at home. I don't get it but I am being patient and waiting for him to come around and he will.
He cried the first week every morning, the second week not once and this morning once I got him settled in with a book he was fine.
He seems to really like his teachers and seems to be having lots of fun.
While I love having an in home baby sitter when my children are babies, I also love what a preschool program does for them once they are a little older.
First off, since starting preschool this child has slept all night every night like a dream. What is the difference you ask, it is getting him away from the television and mentally and physically wearing him out every day. I had a great sitter don't get me wrong but the TV was on all day long and my child never would sleep all night long. Just two months ago I was often getting up twice a night with him. I had the same experience with Luke when I put him in early preschool at 2 also. So I expected it, and looking back at my lack of sleep not sure why I didn't do it sooner.
The third day at preschool one of his teachers asked me if I considered putting him in underwear. I like the idea but told her we should wait a few weeks to see how he does. I don't want to get to far ahead of things. Pull-ups are good for now.
I haven't heard much about new friends yet but it will come with time. Luke made lots of wonderful friends in this very class room, some of those boys are still his friends today. So I am looking forward to the friendships that will develop.
Blog Archive
-
►
2011
(5)
- ► 06/05 - 06/12 (1)
- ► 04/17 - 04/24 (1)
- ► 02/20 - 02/27 (1)
- ► 01/09 - 01/16 (2)
-
▼
2010
(56)
- ► 12/12 - 12/19 (1)
- ► 11/28 - 12/05 (2)
- ► 11/21 - 11/28 (1)
- ► 11/14 - 11/21 (1)
- ► 10/24 - 10/31 (2)
- ► 08/01 - 08/08 (1)
- ► 07/25 - 08/01 (2)
- ► 07/18 - 07/25 (1)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (2)
- ► 06/27 - 07/04 (2)
- ► 06/20 - 06/27 (2)
- ► 06/06 - 06/13 (2)
- ► 05/30 - 06/06 (1)
- ► 05/23 - 05/30 (1)
- ► 05/16 - 05/23 (1)
- ► 05/09 - 05/16 (2)
- ► 04/25 - 05/02 (4)
- ► 04/11 - 04/18 (2)
- ► 04/04 - 04/11 (2)
- ► 03/28 - 04/04 (3)
- ► 03/21 - 03/28 (2)
- ► 03/14 - 03/21 (1)
- ► 03/07 - 03/14 (2)
- ► 02/28 - 03/07 (1)
- ► 02/21 - 02/28 (2)
- ► 02/14 - 02/21 (2)
- ► 02/07 - 02/14 (1)
- ► 01/31 - 02/07 (2)
- ► 01/24 - 01/31 (1)
- ► 01/17 - 01/24 (2)
- ► 01/10 - 01/17 (1)
- ► 01/03 - 01/10 (2)
-
►
2009
(176)
- ► 12/27 - 01/03 (1)
- ► 12/06 - 12/13 (1)
- ► 11/29 - 12/06 (1)
- ► 11/22 - 11/29 (1)
- ► 11/15 - 11/22 (1)
- ► 11/08 - 11/15 (2)
- ► 11/01 - 11/08 (3)
- ► 10/25 - 11/01 (3)
- ► 10/18 - 10/25 (2)
- ► 10/11 - 10/18 (3)
- ► 10/04 - 10/11 (2)
- ► 09/27 - 10/04 (4)
- ► 09/20 - 09/27 (3)
- ► 09/13 - 09/20 (4)
- ► 09/06 - 09/13 (2)
- ► 08/30 - 09/06 (2)
- ► 08/23 - 08/30 (3)
- ► 08/16 - 08/23 (4)
- ► 08/09 - 08/16 (4)
- ► 08/02 - 08/09 (4)
- ► 07/19 - 07/26 (6)
- ► 07/12 - 07/19 (3)
- ► 07/05 - 07/12 (4)
- ► 06/28 - 07/05 (2)
- ► 06/21 - 06/28 (3)
- ► 06/14 - 06/21 (5)
- ► 05/31 - 06/07 (4)
- ► 05/24 - 05/31 (4)
- ► 05/17 - 05/24 (4)
- ► 05/10 - 05/17 (4)
- ► 05/03 - 05/10 (5)
- ► 04/26 - 05/03 (3)
- ► 04/19 - 04/26 (3)
- ► 04/12 - 04/19 (5)
- ► 04/05 - 04/12 (6)
- ► 03/29 - 04/05 (4)
- ► 03/22 - 03/29 (3)
- ► 03/15 - 03/22 (5)
- ► 03/08 - 03/15 (6)
- ► 03/01 - 03/08 (5)
- ► 02/22 - 03/01 (5)
- ► 02/15 - 02/22 (5)
- ► 02/08 - 02/15 (6)
- ► 02/01 - 02/08 (5)
- ► 01/25 - 02/01 (5)
- ► 01/18 - 01/25 (7)
- ► 01/11 - 01/18 (5)
- ► 01/04 - 01/11 (4)
-
►
2008
(97)
- ► 12/28 - 01/04 (4)
- ► 12/21 - 12/28 (4)
- ► 12/14 - 12/21 (4)
- ► 12/07 - 12/14 (3)
- ► 11/30 - 12/07 (8)
- ► 11/23 - 11/30 (3)
- ► 11/16 - 11/23 (5)
- ► 11/09 - 11/16 (5)
- ► 11/02 - 11/09 (4)
- ► 10/26 - 11/02 (6)
- ► 10/19 - 10/26 (4)
- ► 10/12 - 10/19 (6)
- ► 10/05 - 10/12 (6)
- ► 09/28 - 10/05 (3)
- ► 09/21 - 09/28 (3)
- ► 09/14 - 09/21 (2)
- ► 09/07 - 09/14 (4)
- ► 08/31 - 09/07 (4)
- ► 08/24 - 08/31 (4)
- ► 08/17 - 08/24 (5)
- ► 08/10 - 08/17 (2)
- ► 08/03 - 08/10 (6)
- ► 07/27 - 08/03 (2)
Categories
- 5 Things Thursday (4)
- Aloha Friday (49)
- Award (2)
- babies (14)
- birthdays (4)
- breastfeeding (3)
- Cooking (1)
- dogs (2)
- eric (1)
- Family (9)
- Focus Friday (4)
- Friday Flash Back (2)
- funny things (3)
- gardening (1)
- goals (1)
- green mom (1)
- holidays (20)
- Housework (3)
- Husbands (3)
- illness (2)
- kids (39)
- Letters (1)
- Luke (32)
- meals (1)
- Motivate Me Monday (11)
- pets (2)
- photo finish friday (4)
- Romance (1)
- Rules (1)
- savings (2)
- school (2)
- tagged (1)
- Take Me Back Tuesday (2)
- Thomas (33)
- Thursday Thirteen (6)
- time manegment (1)
- vacations (7)
- Winnings (1)
- Wordful Wednesday (18)
- Wordless Wednesday (12)
- working mom (2)
April 20, 2010
Early Preschool
Labels: Thomas
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Nina
- Hi I am Nina! OK Nina is a nickname but I doubt you really care. I am 35 years old, married, two wonderful boys. Luke is my sweet gentile 6 year old and Thomas is my wild and crazy 2 year old. The two of them wear me out but I love everything about them. I hope you enjoy all our crazy adventures as much as we do.




6 Comments Welcome:
Hes is such a cutie!
I am so glad things are going good for him. I like the sound of those nights! Hmmm - maybe we'll have to consider preschool before age 4!
He is looking so much like big brother, too!
And I love the photo of you with Baby Thomas - so sweet!
He's such a cute little boy! I bet he's loving all the new things to learn! It's probably a more productive structured environment for him at this point and a good thing for him! Hooray on the potty-training!! Even if he isn't at home at least he gets the idea enough to be trained everywhere else!
Our boys would be in the same class if they went to the same daycare!! I'm so glad he's adjusting!!
You know, we went through that too, where Jonah would go all day long on the potty at school and refused to go at home. It's so funny, because our school approached us with the same thing (requesting underwear) after a week or two of him going at school. And I reacted much the same way as you did, "You gotta be kiddin' me?!" haha Even my husband was like, "I don't know about that!" But, we sent undies, and sure enough, he was fine at school, but as soon as he got home and got in front of the TV (if we forgot he was wearing them vs. a pull up) he'd go in his pants.
I can't remember how long it took him to start going at home by himself, but he is finally potty trained now at school and at home. I'm thinking we went through that for a couple of weeks. However, he STILL has issues going poo in the toliet (both places). He will go quietly, and then say, "Please change my diaper (aka pull-up)!" My husband gets so mad, and has started to put him in the corner when he goes in his pants, because it's obvious he knows better at this point. I don't know what his fear is. But, I'm sure it has a little to do with the fact that around that same time (that he was going pee on the potty at school, but not for us), he started holding his stools, to the point he would go DAYS without going, because he didn't want to go on the toliet. So we took him to the pedriatrician, and she told us it is VERY common, esp. in boys for them to go through this stage when they are just about potty trained (funny, Josh never went through it). They develop anxiety about going poo on the potty, so they hold it, and the longer they hold it, the harder it gets, the harder it gets, the more it hurts to try and pass, so they develop rectums of steel - LOL... actually I think her exact words were "Arnold Schwarzenegger rectums", haha, but she said that their bowels would ALWAYS win the battle eventually. But, seriously, once Jonah went like 6-7 days w/o going, and that freaked me out!! Way too scary for me. She didn't seem too alarmed by it, but put him on Miralax (which is at Walmart, an over the counter stool softner).
Of course, until you get the dosage right - it's different for everyone - it causes loose stools, so now we are back to pull ups again at home AND at school (NO ONE wants to clean up that MESS!! We've actually thrown some underwear away vs trying to clean them up while he's on the medicine - YUCK!!) He still goes potty, just pulls the pull ups on and off like he did his underwear.
Been a long road, but we'll get there, eventually, haha
So glad to hear he is enjoying preschool! It's hard to leave them when they cry like that, good he is getting over it now! I never thought about the sleep being related to the TV thing, my son's daycare is that way sometimes! But he will be going to a different preschool more soon too!
I think it's amazing what happens when the tv is on all the time, whether or not the child is actually tuned into the tv or not doesn't really matter. Kids need time to play without all the background noise! I'm right there with ya on that one!
Post a Comment