I have been having an extremely hard time living in my home these days. I say this because the mice have been as bad this year as they were 9 years ago (our first fall) in this house.
We live in a 100 year old home, half of which is originally an old log cabin. Our basement is an old stone foundation and I believe at one point was a dirt floor that someone filled with concrete (very poorly I might ad).
When we bought this house it was a bank repo that was in total disarray and had been sitting empty for a very long time. Needless to say that with no residence in side the mice took up occupancy. We bought the house in June, gutted 90% of our home and moved in to a very unfinished home in September. Basically we replaced the downstairs bathroom, left the kitchen in tack with a few modifications (new counter tops, redone wood floors) and we had a dining room that we used as our living quarters. The remainder of our home was closed off and under construction.
Not long after our move in I keep seeing a mouse. Note to self when you see a mouse often it does not mean you have one single mouse. Oh no, as a matter of fact in two days we caught 10 mice.
They have never bothered me and we get one or two every fall. I can remember when Luke was little and being potty trained we were in the bathroom and out one walks from behind the laundry and out in to the kitchen behind the fridge. I did not react but to look at Luke and say, we have a mouse.
This year something is different with me. Evey time I come across one it scares the life right out of me. I don't get it, I don't get why this year I am so bothered by them.
One was spotted in the living room, only to go into the kitchen and have one run across the counter and stove (big scream that time). I told Eric the one in the living room was playing the look out while the other one enjoyed the pizza we had on the counter.
My next encounter was even worse. Home alone, I go to take the trash out. We keep our trash cans in a cabinet because of our dogs. I go to pull the bag out and it rips the draw string part right off the bag. It was to heavy because Thomas's pumpkin was in the can (thank you dogs for eating half of it). So I get a second bag and pull off the top layer of trash and remove the heavy pumpkin. Now I can pull this bag out as well. I pull it out and sit it on the floor to try and figure out how to tie it up before taking it out. Well before I get it tied it starts moving frantically in the bottom. Remember, me home alone? Anyway in my shear panic I grab it and fling it out onto the front porch where it spills everywhere. I was not about to go pick it up either and now I have let that stupid mouse free to come back into my home.
Anyway, since those two I have seen several more but we have not had any success at trapping them. We have had a lot of warm/cold weather mix so they are probably coming and going.
The part for me is Eric doesn't seem to care and I can't sleep at night because all I can think about is one of these things climbing across me in my bed or worse yet, one of my children.
I don't understand why I am having such a hard time this year. I do believe this year they are bad because for 9 years in this house our field behind us has always been a grass field grown for straw and is always very tall grass in the winter months (great home for mice). This year the farmer planted corn instead and the mice really started coming in after he plowed that corn field down in early October.
Needless to say, I am ready to pack my children up and move into a new home. So do you have anything that just freaks you out? How would you handle sharing your home with these furry little critters?
Blog Archive
-
►
2011
(5)
- ► 06/05 - 06/12 (1)
- ► 04/17 - 04/24 (1)
- ► 02/20 - 02/27 (1)
- ► 01/09 - 01/16 (2)
-
▼
2010
(56)
- ► 12/12 - 12/19 (1)
- ► 11/28 - 12/05 (2)
- ► 11/21 - 11/28 (1)
- ► 10/24 - 10/31 (2)
- ► 08/01 - 08/08 (1)
- ► 07/25 - 08/01 (2)
- ► 07/18 - 07/25 (1)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (2)
- ► 06/27 - 07/04 (2)
- ► 06/20 - 06/27 (2)
- ► 06/06 - 06/13 (2)
- ► 05/30 - 06/06 (1)
- ► 05/23 - 05/30 (1)
- ► 05/16 - 05/23 (1)
- ► 05/09 - 05/16 (2)
- ► 04/25 - 05/02 (4)
- ► 04/18 - 04/25 (2)
- ► 04/11 - 04/18 (2)
- ► 04/04 - 04/11 (2)
- ► 03/28 - 04/04 (3)
- ► 03/21 - 03/28 (2)
- ► 03/14 - 03/21 (1)
- ► 03/07 - 03/14 (2)
- ► 02/28 - 03/07 (1)
- ► 02/21 - 02/28 (2)
- ► 02/14 - 02/21 (2)
- ► 02/07 - 02/14 (1)
- ► 01/31 - 02/07 (2)
- ► 01/24 - 01/31 (1)
- ► 01/17 - 01/24 (2)
- ► 01/10 - 01/17 (1)
- ► 01/03 - 01/10 (2)
-
►
2009
(176)
- ► 12/27 - 01/03 (1)
- ► 12/06 - 12/13 (1)
- ► 11/29 - 12/06 (1)
- ► 11/22 - 11/29 (1)
- ► 11/15 - 11/22 (1)
- ► 11/08 - 11/15 (2)
- ► 11/01 - 11/08 (3)
- ► 10/25 - 11/01 (3)
- ► 10/18 - 10/25 (2)
- ► 10/11 - 10/18 (3)
- ► 10/04 - 10/11 (2)
- ► 09/27 - 10/04 (4)
- ► 09/20 - 09/27 (3)
- ► 09/13 - 09/20 (4)
- ► 09/06 - 09/13 (2)
- ► 08/30 - 09/06 (2)
- ► 08/23 - 08/30 (3)
- ► 08/16 - 08/23 (4)
- ► 08/09 - 08/16 (4)
- ► 08/02 - 08/09 (4)
- ► 07/19 - 07/26 (6)
- ► 07/12 - 07/19 (3)
- ► 07/05 - 07/12 (4)
- ► 06/28 - 07/05 (2)
- ► 06/21 - 06/28 (3)
- ► 06/14 - 06/21 (5)
- ► 05/31 - 06/07 (4)
- ► 05/24 - 05/31 (4)
- ► 05/17 - 05/24 (4)
- ► 05/10 - 05/17 (4)
- ► 05/03 - 05/10 (5)
- ► 04/26 - 05/03 (3)
- ► 04/19 - 04/26 (3)
- ► 04/12 - 04/19 (5)
- ► 04/05 - 04/12 (6)
- ► 03/29 - 04/05 (4)
- ► 03/22 - 03/29 (3)
- ► 03/15 - 03/22 (5)
- ► 03/08 - 03/15 (6)
- ► 03/01 - 03/08 (5)
- ► 02/22 - 03/01 (5)
- ► 02/15 - 02/22 (5)
- ► 02/08 - 02/15 (6)
- ► 02/01 - 02/08 (5)
- ► 01/25 - 02/01 (5)
- ► 01/18 - 01/25 (7)
- ► 01/11 - 01/18 (5)
- ► 01/04 - 01/11 (4)
-
►
2008
(97)
- ► 12/28 - 01/04 (4)
- ► 12/21 - 12/28 (4)
- ► 12/14 - 12/21 (4)
- ► 12/07 - 12/14 (3)
- ► 11/30 - 12/07 (8)
- ► 11/23 - 11/30 (3)
- ► 11/16 - 11/23 (5)
- ► 11/09 - 11/16 (5)
- ► 11/02 - 11/09 (4)
- ► 10/26 - 11/02 (6)
- ► 10/19 - 10/26 (4)
- ► 10/12 - 10/19 (6)
- ► 10/05 - 10/12 (6)
- ► 09/28 - 10/05 (3)
- ► 09/21 - 09/28 (3)
- ► 09/14 - 09/21 (2)
- ► 09/07 - 09/14 (4)
- ► 08/31 - 09/07 (4)
- ► 08/24 - 08/31 (4)
- ► 08/17 - 08/24 (5)
- ► 08/10 - 08/17 (2)
- ► 08/03 - 08/10 (6)
- ► 07/27 - 08/03 (2)
Categories
- 5 Things Thursday (4)
- Aloha Friday (49)
- Award (2)
- babies (14)
- birthdays (4)
- breastfeeding (3)
- Cooking (1)
- dogs (2)
- eric (1)
- Family (9)
- Focus Friday (4)
- Friday Flash Back (2)
- funny things (3)
- gardening (1)
- goals (1)
- green mom (1)
- holidays (20)
- Housework (3)
- Husbands (3)
- illness (2)
- kids (39)
- Letters (1)
- Luke (32)
- meals (1)
- Motivate Me Monday (11)
- pets (2)
- photo finish friday (4)
- Romance (1)
- Rules (1)
- savings (2)
- school (2)
- tagged (1)
- Take Me Back Tuesday (2)
- Thomas (33)
- Thursday Thirteen (6)
- time manegment (1)
- vacations (7)
- Winnings (1)
- Wordful Wednesday (18)
- Wordless Wednesday (12)
- working mom (2)
November 19, 2010
Furry Little Critters
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Nina
- Hi I am Nina! OK Nina is a nickname but I doubt you really care. I am 35 years old, married, two wonderful boys. Luke is my sweet gentile 6 year old and Thomas is my wild and crazy 2 year old. The two of them wear me out but I love everything about them. I hope you enjoy all our crazy adventures as much as we do.




6 Comments Welcome:
Eeek!!!
When we lived in our rental house, we had a mouse infestation. We were chasing those things everywhere. And then in our chasing, we came upon a pack rat and its stash of shiny objects. That was crazy!
I really hope this situation gets resolved. That just sounds horrible.
If only Scooby and his gang were around to help!
Horrifying! I don't think that you are overreacting at all!
I have the same irrational freak out every time I see an earwig. We would get them every summer and it would scare me every time they scampered out from somewhere!
Oh yuck yuck! I hate mice, we have had them several times and you are right if you see one you probably have many! We usually bait the traps with peanut butter, it is harder for the mice to get it off the traps! Good luck catching them!!
Yea, I am not all about little creatures! If we had mice I would probably go to my mom's until Mike caught them all! LOL
Hope you get rid of them soon!
I am with you... that would freak me out. But, I have always been freaked out by mice. In our last house, we didn't have any issues until (similar to your story), construction began in an empty field next to our neighborhood for a new housing addition. After that, I could hear them in the walls!! We never caught any with traps, because somehow, they were infact living in between the sheet rock, and of course, in our master bedroom was the only place we could really hear them scratching around at night. My skin crawled all night long on many a night, let me tell you! Then, one day we get the pleasant odor coming from the walls because apparently, they weren't living in there by choice, they had gotten stuck, and then died. OMG, the smell was SO bad. I nearly gagged every time I would walk into our bedroom. And, without tearing off the sheet rock, how do you even fix it?! Then, the very next season, the EXACT same thing happened, and when we moved, I told my husband, "Thank God we don't have to deal with THAT anymore!!" I do not envy the people that bought our house, AT ALL. We never found where they were coming from - we searched and searched looking for any type of sign outside all around the foundation... nothing. Ugh, I can't stand mice!!!
I would get a couple of snakes. They don't bother me as much as the mice (I don't think snakes pass on disease the way mice do or get into your food or chew up your hair etc.) Of course, you probably don't like snakes either. I'm not sure how to get rid of mice. We used poison once in another house and it turns out the mice were living in the walls of the house. The mice all died but the house smelled like dead mice for 2 months while they decayed within the walls of the house. Gross, right?
I'm sorry you have to deal with this!!!! At least it isn't spiders. I could NOT deal with an infestation of spiders!
Post a Comment