Play along at An Island Life for Aloha Friday.
My question for you……..
For your kid’s birthday parties, do you go all out and make the party a major event or do you keep it a simple family thing?
I have two boys one is 5 and the second one is about to have his first birthday next week. I have always kept the first couple birthday’s at home and kept them limited to family. Now I have a very large family so I have a full house on party day but it is kept pretty simple.
Luke’s first birthday was at home but I went all out. He was my first and we had big balloons, grab bags for the other kids, and the house was all decorated.
Thomas’s birthday next weekend will be much simpler. Family, a few presents and some cake, I believe part of this is due to me getting cheaper as I get older and I also know he will never remember it. I am going to make a DVD this year of pictures and set it to music so everyone can see his first year of life while at the party. If I get a chance I will make a condensed version and post it for everyone else to see.
Now Luke’s birthday’s each year seem to get a little bigger and a little more elaborate as he now has several friends and they all have these parties also. Last year we rented a room at the YMCA and that was fun and not to expensive. We have gone to other parties that were much bigger and more expensive like the Pump it up parties and bowling with other kids. Now Luke thinks these are all parties that he is going to have for his next birthday. The Pump-it-Up scares me because it is not cheap. If you don’t know it is a place that has these huge blow up slides, obstacle courses and bouncers that the kids just go crazy on. Very fun but not fun for my wallet!
I guess my answer isn’t the best because I start off simple and seem to watch his parties grow a little bigger each year.
My question for you……..
For your kid’s birthday parties, do you go all out and make the party a major event or do you keep it a simple family thing?
I have two boys one is 5 and the second one is about to have his first birthday next week. I have always kept the first couple birthday’s at home and kept them limited to family. Now I have a very large family so I have a full house on party day but it is kept pretty simple.
Luke’s first birthday was at home but I went all out. He was my first and we had big balloons, grab bags for the other kids, and the house was all decorated.
Thomas’s birthday next weekend will be much simpler. Family, a few presents and some cake, I believe part of this is due to me getting cheaper as I get older and I also know he will never remember it. I am going to make a DVD this year of pictures and set it to music so everyone can see his first year of life while at the party. If I get a chance I will make a condensed version and post it for everyone else to see.
Now Luke’s birthday’s each year seem to get a little bigger and a little more elaborate as he now has several friends and they all have these parties also. Last year we rented a room at the YMCA and that was fun and not to expensive. We have gone to other parties that were much bigger and more expensive like the Pump it up parties and bowling with other kids. Now Luke thinks these are all parties that he is going to have for his next birthday. The Pump-it-Up scares me because it is not cheap. If you don’t know it is a place that has these huge blow up slides, obstacle courses and bouncers that the kids just go crazy on. Very fun but not fun for my wallet!
I guess my answer isn’t the best because I start off simple and seem to watch his parties grow a little bigger each year.






10 Comments Welcome:
For the most part, I keep them small-- cake, presents and family. And in between, a few bigger, special birthday parties. :)
Happy Aloha friday!
My kids are still very little. With my oldest having an August birthday we have only done family parties so far. We have to decide what to do next year now that he is in kindergarten. I feel that keeping things simple and fun is key. Going too far will not give kids things to look forward to. I say this after going to a child's party where it was WAY over the top.
Ahhhh, we go all out. We've had lazer tag, pool parties at the Rec Center, Indians games, Bonfire parties at a local place that does hayrides, fires, etc., Movie parties at the theater...all kinds of stuff. They are all teens now and sluff off parties here and there. They're great fun, but expensive. We've also done parties at a local park, and they turn out just as well for lots less $$. This year and next with the economy so bad, we'll have a halt to big parties.
Umm...we have HUGE family issues with my inlaws! So I dont want to deal with all that mess or make anyone mad! So for his 1st bday we went to our condo at the beach and celebrated there! MY family came but thats all we did!
I try to keep things small around here to...money is tight..rather give them the gifts then a really huge party...but my daughter will be 13 in dec...so I think we will have a pretty good size party this time..since she will be the official teen... :)
For the 1st birthday we go all out...subsequent ones I plan to have them a lot smaller...
Hi -- doing my SITS duty and visiting the blog ahead of me :)
I've always done the at home thing... but with lots of friends and family, homemade cake, homemade food, few decorations, a fun "craft" or activity that becomes the take home item (treasure hunt for puzzle pieces that fit the puzzle one year or decorating sugar cookies I cut out with a train shape and so forth).
Pump it Up has deals during the weekdays that make it much less expensive, and you can find online coupons. We've gone to a TON of those parties but never done one outside the house ... until Mister Man's this year that will be at a restaurant making pizzas. But only because I won it at a charity event.
Do what makes you happy, and the sooner he learns that he can be happy with what you provide and not comparing himself to others, the better off he'll be. Good luck!
We did little parties for the most part, but every few years we throw bigger ones.
We just talked with our kids about parties. Some of them are getting so out of hand. A five year old does not need to have a $300-500 bday party IMO. My daughter turned 6 in August. We had just moved a few months before, so with school still out, she had not really met any new friends here. We went to a nice dinner then to Build A Bear. She thought it was so great. I don't think she really missed a party. I think it is more about making them feel special.
My heart goes out to you reading your profile. I know it is hard to not be able to stay at home with kids when you really would like to. Luckily, my hubby and I were on the same page even before we wed. It was our mission to buy our first house, work until kids, save money, etc so I could be at home with them. As hard as it was to give up the income, the formative years I am spending with them is so much more important and rewarding. My husband says it is my "mission" right now. I still try to volunteer at church and school, but he helps me stay focused that at this season in life, our family is what is most important. I hope things come to a compromise for you guys. It is truly rewarding, even though hard sometimes.
Sorry I'm so late for this!
My girls both had huge 1st birthdays, 300+ guests. Now it's usually just a few friends and family members. I'm still trying to recover from those 1st birthday parties. hee hee
Post a Comment