February 05, 2009

He Doesn't Sleep

This week has been really bad for sleep. Every night this week my 15 month old has been getting up between 12 and 2 and is wide awake this entire time. This is so frustrating because he goes to bed at 10 and is back up two hours later and ready to go. I get up, give him milk, change his diaper and let him fall back asleep in our bed most of the time this is a 10 minute process at night. Not this week, he flips all around the bed, restless and shows no signs that he is going back to sleep. I lay in bed getting hit, kicked, climbed on and so on. It is so frustrating. After about 30 minutes of this my patients has run out and I just put him into his crib. He cries… and cries… and cries… It ranges from a fuss cry to a full blown I am mad cry. Plus he is in our room so this really sucks!!! I don’t like to leave my babies cry but when I am tired my patients is very limited.

A couple times I got back up and comforted him by sitting and rocking him. He seems like he is asleep in my arms with the exception of his little hand running up and down the back of my pajamas. I eventually try to lay him back in his crib and the crying starts all over again.

I asked the sitter if Thomas has been taking extra long naps. No, he is taking his typical one nap a day for about an hour and half. This child has never been a napper. I then want to ask the sitter, are you giving him caffeine shots all day longs. He is acting like a child pumped up on a sugar and caffeine high. Side note: I would never say this to my sitter because I know it isn’t true. She is great with my kids and I love her so much for it. This is my frustration speaking just because of how he is behaving.

This is a new experience for me because my first child slept 12 hours at night and took two long naps every day at this age. This child stays up late, gets up in the middle of the night, wakes early and barely takes a nap. I just don’t know what to do? Have any of you dealt with this? Do you have any advice? Help!!!

12 Comments Welcome:

Outnumbered2to1 said...

My kids were opposites. My oldest did not sleep at all and still, at ten, can get by with little sleep. My second one slept twelve hours and still needs a good long rest to be herself. I remember my oldest waking up in the middle of the night, ready for the day. IT was hard. The only thing I can tell you is that they do grow out of it! Good luck and a hug so you start to get some sleep.

Maggie said...

OMG, I can SO relate. My first son slept all night from day one. My second, uh yeah, not so much!! And this week, OMG, he has been tossing and turning all over the bed and has been up at all hours of the night. Last night, about 11pm he actually fell out of our bed from tossing so much (we have him in our bed when we desperately need sleep, thinking it will make him sleep longer). Scared me to death being woke up by my son screaming bloody murder, then he wanted water, then he wanted Daddy, then he wanted Mommy, and on and on the hours flew by. I'm SO exhausted today!!! UGH!!

Here's to a good night's sleep ASAP for you and me both, girl!!!

Cupcake Dessert said...

I am so sorry to hear this!! And I am sorry that I cannot help!! But I wish you luck in getting it worked out!!!!

Heatherlyn said...

I have no advise. But I feel really badly for you. That is a difficult situation, especially since you can't see for yourself what his behavior is during the day when he isn't with you. We've had kids who climb into our bed at night, but they don't keep us up. I hope that this is a short-lived phase. You have my sympathy!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That is no fun when they get up and won't go back to sleep in the middle of the night! Hope things get better and you all get sleep tonight!!

Heather of the EO said...

Oh I'm sorry. I struggled a lot with both my boys. Sometimes there's no "answer" and other times there are a few things to try. At times we just had to live through the stage.

For my not-so-good nappers, it really helped to adjust their bed times slowly until they were much earlier. So if your little guy is going to bed at 10, you'd start by putting him to bed at 9:45 for a couple nights, then 9:30 for a few and so on. Many times, they're so over-tired that their sleep gets interrupted from that. I've found that the earlier my boys go to bed, the better they sleep. And the more they nap, the better they sleep. That whole sleep begets sleep thing.

Sorry if I'm telling you a whole lot of stuff you already know. I just hate to hear mom's struggling with sleep deprivation because I know it so well and it's awful. So I just thought I'd throw out some ideas.

Hang in there, Mama!

Proud Mommy said...

I can remember being on the internet after I had my son and wondering how a newborn can stay up for 12 hours at a time!!!!! I knew there had to be something wrong with him. Sleep was his enemy and he was not going to give in. I don't remember when it stopped but he can now sleep through a train and for 11 hours straight. Good luck.....I wish I knew an answer....I would be rich!!!

Dreams and Designs said...

oh, I am so sorry! I have dealt with this off and on with my 3.5 year old. I read 'healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" and they say that when kids are night waking they are actually over tired and to put them to bed earlier. It has always worked for us- so maybe it's worth a try?

Dreams and Designs said...

oh, I am so sorry! I have dealt with this off and on with my 3.5 year old. I read 'healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" and they say that when kids are night waking they are actually over tired and to put them to bed earlier. It has always worked for us- so maybe it's worth a try?

Peanut said...

My oldest was a great sleeper, JJ not so much. He takes one very short nap during the day and has only just started sleeping through the night occasionally at 13 months.
The only advice I have is that I was getting up every two hours with him until I moved him out of our room and into KK's room. KK is such a deep sleeper that it doesn't affect her. We have either a heater or fan running as white noise so that KK's sounds don't wake JJ up.
It's hard. I get really frustrated when JJ wakes at night and wants to be up.
I hope you get it figured out soon. Is he maybe teething?

Tiff said...

Oh girl..sometimes I think we have the same kid...haha...my 21 month old is like this...none of my other kids were such terrible sleepers..sebs wakes up a lot and cries and cries and does the whole flip flopping in bed...well I have to say this week for the first time!!!!! he has slept all night since monday this has been happening..i have been trying to figure out what has changed...not sure but he has had no dairy products...none in our dinners or anything...we have switched him to rice milk to drink...also, it has been warm here so he has been playing in the afternoons outside and taking walks with us. And I have not let him take long naps anymore...so I guess i will see if this trend continues or not..and try to figure out which one is doing the trick..lol..i will pray for you..you pray for me..lol..good luck!! :)

Tiff said...

Checking back with you...it was the dairy products for mine!! Taking him off all dairy worked for us! :)

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template