Saturday morning I got up and started my day off like I do every Saturday. I turn the radio on and I start my house cleaning. As I was cleaning I started thinking about how I do this every Saturday morning. When I was a kid, ever since I can remember, this was the routine in my house. We got up every Saturday morning, watched our cartoons and then the cleaning began. I always did the vacuuming and my younger brother did the dusting, along with other chores we both did. We always had the radio on and we danced around doing our house work.
What I find interesting about this is the fact that I have carried this behavior over into my life as an adult. Every Saturday is house cleaning day for me. I don’t think about it, question it or anything else, I just do it. I start my laundry, the dishwasher is going, I sweep, mop, dust, clean the bathroom, etc… all while enjoying my music of course. Don’t get me wrong I clean house also during the week but it is picking up, dishes, my vacuum obsession and just general everyday type cleaning projects to maintain the household.
As my boys get older I will incorporate Saturday morning chores for them to do as well. Right now Luke loves to help by (wasting my Windex) washing the windows. This makes me wonder, will my boys grow up with the mind set that Saturday’s are house cleaning day? Will my boys turn into young men that will help their wives someday clean the house? I wonder this because this tradition came from my dad who grew up in a house where Saturday morning chores were a regular behavior. This was such a regular behavior in his life that he passed this behavior down to his family. As I grew up I don’t remember my dad doing Saturday morning chores in the cleaning sense but he was either mowing the lawn, fixing something or building something so in a sense those were his chores.
So I ask you this, do you have an activity that you do that you carried over from you childhood? Is this something you will pass down to your family?
Blog Archive
-
►
2011
(5)
- ► 06/05 - 06/12 (1)
- ► 04/17 - 04/24 (1)
- ► 02/20 - 02/27 (1)
- ► 01/09 - 01/16 (2)
-
►
2010
(56)
- ► 12/12 - 12/19 (1)
- ► 11/28 - 12/05 (2)
- ► 11/21 - 11/28 (1)
- ► 11/14 - 11/21 (1)
- ► 10/24 - 10/31 (2)
- ► 08/01 - 08/08 (1)
- ► 07/25 - 08/01 (2)
- ► 07/18 - 07/25 (1)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (2)
- ► 06/27 - 07/04 (2)
- ► 06/20 - 06/27 (2)
- ► 06/06 - 06/13 (2)
- ► 05/30 - 06/06 (1)
- ► 05/23 - 05/30 (1)
- ► 05/16 - 05/23 (1)
- ► 05/09 - 05/16 (2)
- ► 04/25 - 05/02 (4)
- ► 04/18 - 04/25 (2)
- ► 04/11 - 04/18 (2)
- ► 04/04 - 04/11 (2)
- ► 03/28 - 04/04 (3)
- ► 03/21 - 03/28 (2)
- ► 03/14 - 03/21 (1)
- ► 03/07 - 03/14 (2)
- ► 02/28 - 03/07 (1)
- ► 02/21 - 02/28 (2)
- ► 02/14 - 02/21 (2)
- ► 02/07 - 02/14 (1)
- ► 01/31 - 02/07 (2)
- ► 01/24 - 01/31 (1)
- ► 01/17 - 01/24 (2)
- ► 01/10 - 01/17 (1)
- ► 01/03 - 01/10 (2)
-
▼
2009
(176)
- ► 12/27 - 01/03 (1)
- ► 12/06 - 12/13 (1)
- ► 11/29 - 12/06 (1)
- ► 11/22 - 11/29 (1)
- ► 11/15 - 11/22 (1)
- ► 11/08 - 11/15 (2)
- ► 11/01 - 11/08 (3)
- ► 10/25 - 11/01 (3)
- ► 10/18 - 10/25 (2)
- ► 10/11 - 10/18 (3)
- ► 10/04 - 10/11 (2)
- ► 09/27 - 10/04 (4)
- ► 09/20 - 09/27 (3)
- ► 09/13 - 09/20 (4)
- ► 09/06 - 09/13 (2)
- ► 08/30 - 09/06 (2)
- ► 08/23 - 08/30 (3)
- ► 08/16 - 08/23 (4)
- ► 08/09 - 08/16 (4)
- ► 08/02 - 08/09 (4)
- ► 07/19 - 07/26 (6)
- ► 07/12 - 07/19 (3)
- ► 07/05 - 07/12 (4)
- ► 06/28 - 07/05 (2)
- ► 06/21 - 06/28 (3)
- ► 06/14 - 06/21 (5)
- ► 05/31 - 06/07 (4)
- ► 05/24 - 05/31 (4)
- ► 05/17 - 05/24 (4)
- ► 05/10 - 05/17 (4)
- ► 04/26 - 05/03 (3)
- ► 04/19 - 04/26 (3)
- ► 04/12 - 04/19 (5)
- ► 04/05 - 04/12 (6)
- ► 03/29 - 04/05 (4)
- ► 03/22 - 03/29 (3)
- ► 03/15 - 03/22 (5)
- ► 03/08 - 03/15 (6)
- ► 03/01 - 03/08 (5)
- ► 02/22 - 03/01 (5)
- ► 02/15 - 02/22 (5)
- ► 02/08 - 02/15 (6)
- ► 02/01 - 02/08 (5)
- ► 01/25 - 02/01 (5)
- ► 01/18 - 01/25 (7)
- ► 01/11 - 01/18 (5)
- ► 01/04 - 01/11 (4)
-
►
2008
(97)
- ► 12/28 - 01/04 (4)
- ► 12/21 - 12/28 (4)
- ► 12/14 - 12/21 (4)
- ► 12/07 - 12/14 (3)
- ► 11/30 - 12/07 (8)
- ► 11/23 - 11/30 (3)
- ► 11/16 - 11/23 (5)
- ► 11/09 - 11/16 (5)
- ► 11/02 - 11/09 (4)
- ► 10/26 - 11/02 (6)
- ► 10/19 - 10/26 (4)
- ► 10/12 - 10/19 (6)
- ► 10/05 - 10/12 (6)
- ► 09/28 - 10/05 (3)
- ► 09/21 - 09/28 (3)
- ► 09/14 - 09/21 (2)
- ► 09/07 - 09/14 (4)
- ► 08/31 - 09/07 (4)
- ► 08/24 - 08/31 (4)
- ► 08/17 - 08/24 (5)
- ► 08/10 - 08/17 (2)
- ► 08/03 - 08/10 (6)
- ► 07/27 - 08/03 (2)
Categories
- 5 Things Thursday (4)
- Aloha Friday (49)
- Award (2)
- babies (14)
- birthdays (4)
- breastfeeding (3)
- Cooking (1)
- dogs (2)
- eric (1)
- Family (9)
- Focus Friday (4)
- Friday Flash Back (2)
- funny things (3)
- gardening (1)
- goals (1)
- green mom (1)
- holidays (20)
- Housework (3)
- Husbands (3)
- illness (2)
- kids (39)
- Letters (1)
- Luke (32)
- meals (1)
- Motivate Me Monday (11)
- pets (2)
- photo finish friday (4)
- Romance (1)
- Rules (1)
- savings (2)
- school (2)
- tagged (1)
- Take Me Back Tuesday (2)
- Thomas (33)
- Thursday Thirteen (6)
- time manegment (1)
- vacations (7)
- Winnings (1)
- Wordful Wednesday (18)
- Wordless Wednesday (12)
- working mom (2)
May 04, 2009
Cleaning Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Nina
- Hi I am Nina! OK Nina is a nickname but I doubt you really care. I am 35 years old, married, two wonderful boys. Luke is my sweet gentile 6 year old and Thomas is my wild and crazy 2 year old. The two of them wear me out but I love everything about them. I hope you enjoy all our crazy adventures as much as we do.




5 Comments Welcome:
We clean too - I always saw my mom clean and I just assumed that's what you did during down time at home.
Same with sewing and cooking. I think kids see what their parents are doing and it becomes a routine part of their lives.
Thanks for sharing and hopefully it was a productive cleaning day!
Email me your address and I will mail your purses to you!
Saturday cleaning day sounds fun. I think its great that you kept this tradition and passing it down to your boys!
We do the Saturday morning cleaning thing because my HUSBAND did that as a kid. In fact, they always cleaned on Saturday and during the school year if they didn't have it all clean by 11 they were grounded for the day. During the summer, it was every day.
And you know, 8 of the 8 children grew up to be pretty tidy and clean adults!
Same here, every Saturday we cleaned and that is what we do at our house on Saturdays too!
OMG, we are so alike! I have the same Saturday cleaning regimin and have since I was a kid. I do the radio thing too.
When I say to my son that it's time to "Saturday clean" his room, he already knows this means that besides the normal picking up and making his bed, he has to also dust and vacuume.
I love to clean as early as possible too, on Saturday. I love getting up before it's light out and cleaning while the sun comes up. Granted, I don't do this every Saturday (cuz like I said earlier, I'm a lazy bum lately, haha) but I do like it. Something about hearing the birds outside and being the only one up. I also like to cook for my boys on the weekends... so along with cleaning, I usually have muffins baking or something. My oldest loves chocolate chip muffins - the mix kind you get on the baking isle at Walmart that all you have to do is add milk. So easy!
Also speaking of breakfast, I remember my Dad taking us kids to the donut shop early on Saturdays or even through the week - it was a special treat, and we didn't go very often, but I have also carried that on to my adulthood and take my boys to the donut shop every once in a while - it is a special treat for them as well.
Post a Comment