May 20, 2009

Sharing A Bedroom

My friend Peanut does these amazing 5 Things Thursday. I have played along a few times but here lately I haven’t been able to think of anything. Now what I mean is I could do the easy stuff but I like to do as Peanut does and choose things that are not always the easiest to find the good qualities about them, humble myself and remind myself that there is good in every situation. Last week Peanut did one about her kids sharing a bed room and this gave me an idea for my 5 Things Thursday. So this week I am going to find the 5 Things I love about sharing a bed room with my 18 month old.

We have a very little house and it has only two bedrooms. When I was pregnant we upgraded Luke from a toddler bed to bunk beds for his bed room and praying that we were going to have another boy who could share a room with his brother when he got a little older. That part came true and the bunk beds were not a waist. Now while the bunk beds are great for the future we still had a baby and a bed room to small for the two boys to share. The crib was not going to fit into Luke’s room and this meant that Thomas was going to have to be in our bedroom. This really was no big deal to me because when Luke was a baby our upstairs wasn’t done and the office downstairs was used as a bedroom for all of us and we had a crib in our room back then also. So here are my 5 reasons for loving sharing my room with my babies.

1. When Thomas wakes up in the middle of the night I hear him right away and it takes me three steps from the bed to the crib to get him. I will often let him fuss and squirm for a bit but I can always tell when he has reached his limit and I have to get up and get him.

2. There is nothing better in the morning than waking up to a happy smiling little boy who is leaning over the rail of his crib calling out for you. I don’t think he would have as pleasant of an attitude in the mornings if he was alone in a room.

3. Neither boy when they were babies had a room of their own. Because I never had a bedroom for either of my babies I never had a nursery to decorate. This was a little tough for me because every mom wants to have a cute nursery to decorate. The blessing about not having a nursery, I didn’t spend a bunch of money on things that I didn’t really need in the first place. It saved me a lot of money.

4. I don’t have to go far to check on him at night when I am worried about him. As a mother I worry so much and it is so easy to just do a quick check.

5. When I put Thomas to bed I always put him in his crib awake and he will play for a bit and then fall asleep. He is fine with putting himself to sleep as long as I stay in the room. So I put him to bed and lay down on my bed and just relax and process my day. It is great quiet time for me and when he really isn’t ready to go to sleep yet I get to enjoy a little giggle time with him.


Here is a little sample of some of that giggle time. I will say I normally don't interact with him like this but I had the camera so I had too.

Sorry for the dark picture, the lights were dimmed down low.

11 Comments Welcome:

Heatherlyn said...

I really liked your post. I think that so much of life is perspective and that every situation has a positive side to it and I enjoyed hearing the positives to your sharing a room with your 18 month-old!

Caitlin said...

Oh, I love it! His little giggle is just so contagious! I miss having my little guy in the room with us- sigh...

Muthering Heights said...

Those are such sweet memories!

Unknown said...

What a nice post! I love having the kids closetoo! While ours are not in the same room thier rooms are very close and I can check on them and be there quickly. You outlined a lot of reasons why we will never have the kids on a different floor. Thanks for the cute giggles video, so sweet!

T Rex Mom said...

I love this post - sometimes I, too, need to be reminded the glass is half full.

And the video still has me smiling. "Night night" and those giggles - too cute!

Teri said...

My youngest was in our room for a year. I swore I would never do it, but I actually kind of liked it. Those were sweet days.

Maggie said...

That was great!! =)

Jonah has been in our bed (not just our bedroom, but in our BED) since birth. He's so big now it's to the point that one of us (either Jeramy or myself) wakes up having had the worst night ever - cuz one of us 'gets the feet side' of Jonah right in the face or ribs. He woke up this am and said, "I think he broke my nose last night!" LOL I know it's high time to get him in his own room/bed, but he's upstairs w/ Josh in separate bedrooms (and we are downstairs), so I'm still scared that he might push the gate over and fall down the stairs. I guess that means he'll be in our bed until he turns 5. AHHHHH!!!! haha

Peanut said...

His giggles are so cute. What a way to settle for the evening :) And giggles are certainly the best kind of alarm clock!

I sure wish JJ was still in our room when he's up in the night and I have to drag myself down the cold hallway to get to him!

Lindsay said...

We just got our bunk beds for my 2 & 3 year old and they LOVE them, too - so no - they are not a waste! Give the little man a few more months and he'll be ready...with a rail, of course :-) They are going to have a ball!! Until then, enjoy having your "baby" in your room!

Anonymous said...

I never had any of my kids cribs in my bedroom, but used to go in their room and stay awhile waiting for them to go to sleep. This brings back so many great memories. Thanks for a great post!!

Dreams and Designs said...

Great post. i LOVED hearing those little giggles!

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template