January 14, 2009

100 Dinosaurs & Counting

Luke has an assignment for Kindergarten to take a collection of 100 things for the 100 day of school celebration that is coming up very soon. I asked Luke what he wanted to put together for this 100 day celebration.


"Hmmm... how about Dinosaurs" he tells me.


Luke loves dinosaurs and I know he has a lot of them with sizes range from tiny to huge. I told him I didn't think he would have 100 small dinosaurs that we could put together for school. He really wanted to do dinosaurs so I decided we would go around the house and gather up all the small ones and see how many we have.

Three toy boxes, two toy shelves, 10 toy baskets and a tote of moon sand later and we have lots of little dinosaurs. Seriously we gathered up over 100 of these things... and I bet he has 100 or more larger ones also.

As we are sorting through them all I can think of is "seriously we have 100 of these things". Who buys all of this stuff???? Wait, that would be me... Something has got to give because we don't need all of these dinosaurs.

The worst part is I know I throw these things away all the time. I will find them roughed up and I think he doesn't need all these or he doesn't play with this and into the trash it will go.

He had to group them into groups of ten. As we were separating them by the different types of dinosaurs.... he could name them all. I say what about this one, it is spiny like these here... no mommy that goes in Valosaraptor (spelling???) pile. He was so particular about where they had to go. I wish I could see him present it to his class because I am sure he will be telling everyone about the different groups that he has.

Has your child had a toy obsession that has taken over your house? Luke use to love Thomas the Train and I now have 3 large 18 gal. rubber maid totes in the garage full of Thomas the Train toys. I am holding out with the hope that Thomas will love trains so they get a little more use.

4 Comments Welcome:

Maggie said...

LOL Wow, that is a TON of dinosaurs!!! =) Josh really loved Legos when he was younger. He really loved the Lego people. Jonah on the other hand loves cars, but he'll play with bowls, lids and pans just as much. ha ha He got alot of cars for Christmas, and last night he played in the kitchen lid drawer. Go figure. =)

Fifty Years Passed said...

I think it would be cars if it were us. that's a lot of dinosaurs.

Heatherlyn said...

YES! My kids go through phases. We have a ton of Thomast the trains. (I love Thomast). We have a ton of hot wheels like cars. And my son will still try to get one each time we go to the store. I came to realize that my children like GETTING the toys more than they like the toys. Scary. Kids actually appreciate and take care of what they have fewer of. And it is MY fault for buying them all. I could totally relate to this entry. But it IS pretty cute the way he knows all the names. My kids always just brought something like buttons or pennies for the 100 days of kindergarten. Dinosaurs are a pretty cool thing to bring.

Peanut said...

Wow! That IS a lot of dinosaurs. It's incredible that he knows details about all of them.

My daughter loves random pieces of paper. She packs them everywhere with her... an email I printed off for her, a picture she drew, a photo that I don't need anymore... etc etc etc. I call them her "treasures" and gave her a drawer to keep them in. It still doesn't stop her from bringing them all with her to bed for her nap. I have to regularly go through them and try to figure out which ones she wouldn't miss and then hide them in the garbage. She caught me once trying to throw some out and was DEVASTATED!

(For the first time, I'm here with the sound on... I love your playlist!)

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template